Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen before windows XP loads.

• Please log in to reply

Izm

Izm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, let me start off by stating what my computer has:
Core2Duo E6700 @ 2.67
Intel D975XBX MotherBoard
3GB Kingston RAM
ATI Radeon x1950 pro
&
ATI HIS Radeon HD 2600 PRO
200GB Western DIgital HDD
&
80 GB Western Digital HDD
2 Regular DVD Roms
SATA Blueray Writter.

OKay, so i started my computer one day and it started up and it couldn't find my HDD. I then started messing around with it and made it find the HDD. I then started up the computer and noticed that it just stayed with the white undercursor thing (lol) at the top left hand corner. I then started playing around with the computer and changed the HDD and the same thing happend. I noticed the the HDD were set in the slave position because they had no jumpers (they meaning both HDD) I added the jumper to the HDDs and it sent me to the screen before windows loads asking you if you want to load up windows safemode, safemode w/ networking, safemose w/ cmd, last known good config, and Load windows normally. I went through load windows normally, safemode, last known good config. it would flicker then just stay black. I tried reformatting windows and it started up saying setup is analyzing your hardware configuration or whatever it says and it then goes to a black screen. I then got my HDDs and tried them on another computer and reformatted them and went into windows just to make sure that they were working properly. I then tried them on this computer and doesnt load windows. I then started getting that screen again asking to load windows normally or last known config. I went through all of those options, Nothing. I added a brand new HIS Radeon card and still nothing. I tested the RAM on another computer and it works fine. I have more than sufficient power from my 450W power supply the only thing I haven't tested has really been the CPU and the MOBO but I can't right now. Anyone have any Ideas? :)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I would download and run the drive utility from the manufacturer of the hard drives in question... you say you tested the ram in another machine.... did you actually run a ram tester or just put them in and see if it would boot?

Izm

Izm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I would download and run the drive utility from the manufacturer of the hard drives in question... you say you tested the ram in another machine.... did you actually run a ram tester or just put them in and see if it would boot?

The hard drive works. I reformatted it on another computer and it entered windows and I activated the key. But about the ram, I didnt put it on a ram tester per se. I have
a : <a href="http://www.asus.com/...=610&l4=0">Asus MOBO</a> and I added it to it and they were fine; the motherboard has LEDs that tell you if the CPU VId and Ram are doing by colors. and I saw it inthe BIOS and in windows and i didnt have a hiccup with my Windows Vista Ultimate.

Plus it has a External LCD Poster and it didnt say it had a problem. Also It passed the POST Test and it didnt even stop to give beep codes or anything.

Edited by Izm, 10 December 2008 - 05:42 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I would run memtest86 or memtest86+ on the memory to be sure....