Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Items missing in control panel

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I am using XP home edition, SP3.

In Category View in the control panel, under "Other Control Panel Options" there are no icons for Java, Bluetooth Local COM, BDE administrator and possibly some others. They are available only under Classic View. This has to be an error, because on another XP home SP3 system, these options are available under both "other control panel options" and in classic view.

I have also noticed that when I click on "other control panel options" a message will flash very quickly in the window ("These Control Panel options are not available. The content of the Control Panel category has been made unavailbe by your system admininistrator." - I could not catch the rest). The message is quickly replaced by "Pick a Control Panel icon" and three icons (for Norton Security Center, Program Updates, and Software Explorers).

I checked in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load, but there is nothing related to java nor bluetooth.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Personally I don't like Category view because I can never find anything. Do the icons show up as normal in Classic view?

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi Neil,

Yes, they are visible in Classic view.

In Category View in the control panel, under "Other Control Panel Options" there are no icons for Java, Bluetooth Local COM, BDE administrator and possibly some others. They are available only under Classic View.