Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing Unnecessary Programs From Start-Up Tab

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I'm trying to clean up a used PC I bought recently from a local university's surplus sale. I've read the instructions on this forum that explains how I can access the Start-Up tab and remove applications from Start-Up that are unnecessary. The problem is, once I reviewed the Start-Up Items that were checked on the Start-Up tab, I found several that I have no clue as to what they are. Therefore, I'm unsure if I should remove them.

Wasn't sure if anybody here could identify them or not, but the list is as follows:

igfxtray
hkcmd
QFSCHD140
Reader_sl
KHALMNPR
jusched
SHSTAT
ashDisp
ctfmon

I've identified the ones I know I want to keep (not listed in the Start-Up Items list above). These others are unknown to me.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, and install Quick Startup: http://www.glarysoft.com/qs.html
Go File>Export, save report, and paste it into your next post.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Download, and install Quick Startup: http://www.glarysoft.com/qs.html
Go File>Export, save report, and paste it into your next post.

Report is as follows:

Startup List report created on 12/7/2008 by Startup Manager

Name: IgfxTray
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: HotKeysCmds
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: QuickFinder Scheduler
Path: "c:\Program Files\Corel\WordPerfect Office X4\Programs\QFSCHD140.EXE"

Name: Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
Path: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Name: Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer
Path: KHALMNPR.EXE

Name: SunJavaUpdateSched
Path: "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"

Name: ShStatEXE
Path: "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE

Name: avast!
Path: C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

Name: ctfmon.exe
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Name: Logitech SetPoint
Path: C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\SetPoint\KEM.exe
Location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

Name: ClickTray Calendar
Path: C:\PROGRA~1\CLICKT~1\CLICKT~1.EXE
Location: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
Total 11 Items

Thanks...Greg

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First of all, I've noticed, that you're running two antivirus programs, McAfee, and Avast. This is bad idea.

Using the above program, you can safely disable:
- IgfxTray
- hkcmd.exe - up to you - Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. If you want the Ctrl+Alt+F12 or similar keypresses to access Intel's customised graphics properties, you need it, otherwise not
- KHALMNPR.EXE - up to you - Logitech Bluetooth mouse Hardware Abstraction layer. A "hardware abstraction layer" is an interface that enables adding support for new devices and new ways of connecting devices to the computer, without modifying every application that uses the device. "This process is Logitech's mouse sensitivity monitor. When you enable Logitech's own sensitivity management, this process is required. This will allow you to change sensitivity on a per program level using their profile manager inside SetPoint."
- ctfmon.exe - only needed, if you use more than one language in M$ Office
- KEM.exe - up to you - Keyboard and mouse drivers and utilities for Logitech's latest products - supersedes iTouch and MouseWare on their older products. Required if you use special features such as multimedia keys

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

First of all, I've noticed, that you're running two antivirus programs, McAfee, and Avast. This is bad idea.

I didn't realize I am still running McAfee on this PC. Believe me, it's unintentional. I put another topic on this site asking for help remiving McAfee from my PC cause I was unable to do it thru Add/Remove Programs (it kept coming back on reboot). Another member responded and suggested I use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool, which I did and it appeared that all instances of McAfee were uninstalled - I checked my All Programs menu from Start button, the Add/Remove Programs menu, the McAfee icon on the bottom right of the Task Bar, and I did a search for any McAfee instances via Windows Search (typed in McAfee and it came back without any results), I did not find a trace of McAfee.

So the list from the Quick Startup program indicates I still have McAfee installed? Hmm, that blows. Which one of the listings from Quick Startup indicates McAfee's still there, is it the IgfxTray? I do want McAfee uninstalled completely.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool is a good tool, and it's usually does it job, but in your case, there is a leftover.
Disable the below from startups:

Restart computer, and get rid of a whole McAfee folder from C:\Program Files

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
OK, I disabled

Restarted computer and checked C:\Program Files for a McAfee folder, did not find one there. Also got a message window that popped up upon restart titled "System Configuration Utility". It says the following:

"You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.
[check box here] Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts."

I'm assuming I check the box so the utility won't start launch each time I restart.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I'm assuming I check the box so the utility won't start launch each time I restart.

Yes, it's normal, generic message.

Restarted computer and checked C:\Program Files for a McAfee folder, did not find one there

That's fine. It means, only registry entry was left behind. Since it's disabled now as a startup, you're fine.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
Broni,

Your help has been invaluable. Thank you for taking the time to educate me.

Greg

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)