Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restored XP, but missing drivers and wi-fi not recognized!

• Please log in to reply

infiniti817

infiniti817

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I was trying to help a friend rid his computer of malware by reformatting the drive and installing windows xp again. The Acer Aspire 5000 laptop is his, but I used my restore disk from my HP pavilion laptop. Everything went fine, but now he is missing drivers and his wireless card isn't even recognized in the device manager! I've downloaded the drivers, but the OS doesn't even recognize that the wireless card is plugged in. I opened up the case and reseated the wireless card, but to no avail. Windows doesn't even state that new hardware was inserted. Am I missing a driver for plug and play or something? Do I need to download chipsets for the laptop? I can still access the internet via ethernet, but the wireless is shot. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. If I have to download a chipset, how do I know which one to download?

Thanks,
Brandon

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'm surprised, that Recovery CD from Acer worked on HP. I've never heard of such a case.
But, in any event, with HP, has at least three options, if he doesn't have Windows XP CD:
1. Use HP Recovery Partition.
2. HP computers usually allow creating Recovery CD.
3. If he calls HP, they usually send Recovery CD for shipping costs.

infiniti817

infiniti817

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm sorry if I was unclear. I used my windows service pack 2 from HP to install the OS on his acer laptop. Does that change your advice?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Was it a windows XP cd or a HP recovery cd. A recovery cd is specific to the computer. It has drivers and chipsets specific to the computer it was built for.
I suspect that the chipset drivers need to be installed.
Go to start/ run and type in "devmgmt.msc" and click on ok.
Are any devices listed with the ? or !

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Yes, because the OS will only be good for 30 days till the need to activate it comes up, then there will be no Legal license key that will allow you to activate.

infiniti817

infiniti817

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It was a was a windows operating system cd. But it came with the HP laptop that I bought. When I click on the device manager, there are question marks next to a couple of devices: the PCI modem, Network Controller, and there was one next to the multimedia controller, but I downloaded and installed the correct driver. The problem with the wireless card is that it doesn't even show up in the device manager. Even after opening up the case and physically reseating it, it doesn't show up. Is there something I have to install for it to be recognized? Where do I go to find out which chipset drivers need to be installed? What do I have to do in order for the laptop to recognize new hardware has been attached (the wireless card)?

Thank you

infiniti817

infiniti817

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Was it a windows XP cd or a HP recovery cd. A recovery cd is specific to the computer. It has drivers and chipsets specific to the computer it was built for.
I suspect that the chipset drivers need to be installed.
Go to start/ run and type in "devmgmt.msc" and click on ok.
Are any devices listed with the ? or !

What do I do once I click "devmgmt.msc"?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You need to install the chipset drivers.
You need to know the manufacturer of the main board.

We might be in a grey area here because I do not know what is going to happen with your license.

devmgmt.msc is a quicker way to get to device manager. You have already been there and told us you are missing stuff.

infiniti817

infiniti817

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You need to install the chipset drivers.
You need to know the manufacturer of the main board.

We might be in a grey area here because I do not know what is going to happen with your license.

devmgmt.msc is a quicker way to get to device manager. You have already been there and told us you are missing stuff.

I just activated windows, so we need not worry about that. How do I find out which manufacturer is on the mainboard and install chipset drivers?

infiniti817

infiniti817

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, I found out it's a SiS mainboard, but when I go to the SiS website, which OS do I have? Windows XP, Windows XP 64 bit edition, or Windows XP Embedded? From there, I have to choose what to download. Do I just download the network driver? How do I go about installing these chipset drivers once I download them? Again, thank all of you so much for your help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Everest (in my signature) under summary will give you the exact model of the board.
You have to tell us what OS you installed. If you do not know, then go to start and right click on my computer. On the drop down open properties and it will tell you on the general tab.

If you get us the name/ model of the board we can help you with that.
You need to add drivers for all the ? and ! in device manager.

infiniti817

infiniti817

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, the name of the chipset is
"Northbridge: SiS M760GX", but I don't know what to do from there. When I look at the device manager, my wireless adapter doesn't even show up with a ? or !, it's just absent from the list all together. So what do I need to download? The OS is just Windows XP home edition, and the motherboard name is "Acer Aspire 5000" and the ID on the motherboard is "<DMI>"