Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't locate Norton Internet Security to remove it

• Please log in to reply

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I recently caused myself a bit of trouble by doing a de-frag on my laptop (Compaq Presario C700) which is running Vista. It turned out that de-fragging kills Vista. I took the laptop to a computer store who backed up my hard drive then re-installed Vista. Ever since I got it back I've got a permanent Windows security alert saying Norton Internet Security is out of date but my available options don't include updating it. When I first got the laptop Norton was on a 60 day trial and after it expired I uninstalled it and installed AVG free 8.0. I've downloaded AVG 8.0 again but it suggests I don't install it until I get rid of the other mailware program. The problem is I can't find Norton Internet Security anywhere - including the folder which the computer store made me which is my hard drive backup. I tried the Windows Install Clean Up recommended on this forum but it doesn't locate it either.
All I want to do is get rid of norton and get AVG up and running. Any help would be great. By the way I'm not too knowledgable about computers so "dummy proof" help would be great.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.syma...005033108162039

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thank you Grandad Phillip, that worked great.

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
You're welcome. Nice to have feedback from a member when a problem is solved. Many don't bother to let us know when our advice solves their problem -- but they are all over us when it doesn't work!