Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Allocating more space to C Drive from D Drive or by merging with D Dri

• Please log in to reply

adai2020

adai2020

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I am using a Windows XP computer with hard drive partitioned to 2 parts. Namely C Drive and D Drive. My C Drive has a total space of 10GB and my D Drive has a total of 10GB of space. Hence in total my computer only has 20 GB of storage space. My C Drive is already full to the brink with only a few MB's or approximately 145MB left. My computer is slowing down by a lot simply because i am running short of space in my C Drive. Moreover, i cannot download any more programs into my C Drive.

Hence i am thinking of merging my C Drive and D Drive together to provide a total of 20GB of space in my C Drive. Or alternatively, i am thinking of changing the partitioning of my computer hard drives such that i can make the C Drive have around 15GB of space and my D Drive have about 5GB of space.

For both of the options above, how do i go about doing them ? How do i merge both my drives without adversely affecting my operating system and the operations of my computer.

I would extremely appreciate if someone could help me in merging my drive or changing the partitions in my computer to allocate more space to my C Drive.

I am unable to delete any files, folders or program any further in my computer to attain more space in my C Drive as all that is left are the basic and minimal data and applications that i regularly use and require.

Thank you.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Is your D partition also full? How much room do you have there? If you have enough room on your D drive, then perhaps you can just move some of you files from your C drive and place them on D so you can make space on the C drive. If you have music files, photos, or videos on your C drive, they can take up a lot of space. Also, if you have a lot of hidden trash, that too can take up a lot of space. Clean up your trash by using ATFCleaner, then move whatever files you can to your D partition.

As for your question about partition resizing. There are many programs out there that can do this. However, the ones that are "more" reliable cost money... like Partition Magic. Even so, these programs can sometime fail if the user is not careful with setting the program parameters... or it can fail, just because something else goes wrong. I personally use Partition magic to do what you want to do, and rarely does it ever fail... although it did twice in the past! So basically, there are no guarantees while doing this kind of operation.

Edited by makai, 07 December 2008 - 06:57 PM.

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

My D Drive is rarely used and is quite a lot empty. Only 1% of my D Drive have been used thus far.

By moving some of the files and folders to D Drive, will i cause some programs to not run properly as the directory address for these files have changed ?

Where can i find the Partition Magic program ?

Thank you.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

By moving some of the files and folders to D Drive, will i cause some programs to not run properly as the directory address for these files have changed ?

You MUST NOT move PROGRAM FILES or your programs will not work. The only files you can move are files like photos, videos, music, and documents you created.

If you have shortcuts to any of your files, then the shortcut won't work when you move the file from the C drive to the D drive. You will have to create new shortcuts to those files.

Where can i find the Partition Magic program ?

Look up Partition Magic on Google, and you'll be certain to find it.

Edited by makai, 08 December 2008 - 08:29 AM.