Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP connectivity

• Please log in to reply

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm a total computer moron so can someone please tell me what this means?
FTP (Passive): Error 12002 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The operation timed out
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.passport.net.
warn FTP (Active): Error 12002 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The operation timed out
error Could not make an FTP connection.

I have broadband so why do I get connection interruption all the time? Is it because there's something wrong with my modem or is it my computer? I hope someone can walk me through on how NOT to get that error message again...please...:)

edit: I'm using Firefox.

Edited by ashlaegl, 07 December 2008 - 06:04 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just a thought: Go into your internet options settings in the control panel, Connection Tab, Lan Settings and make sure "Use Proxy server" is UNTICKED.

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Just a thought: Go into your internet options settings in the control panel, Connection Tab, Lan Settings and make sure "Use Proxy server" is UNTICKED.

Thanks...Ran off to check and every little box in the Lan Settings is unticked. Will take any and all suggestion :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might check LAN Settings (DHCP). BTW, a Google search for your problem produced a lot of people having same problem. No specific solution was found.

What FTP program are you using? Are you using Port 20 to connect FTP?

Edited by Major Payne, 07 December 2008 - 09:07 AM.

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Might check LAN Settings (DHCP). BTW, a Google search for your problem produced a lot of people having same problem. No specific solution was found.

What FTP program are you using? Are you using Port 20 to connect FTP?

:) I have no idea what FTP program I'm using and...Port 20??:) How do I check?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You are getting FTP errors. Am I not understanding correctly that you are trying to access the site via FTP to upload files?

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
As you would notice in my first message, that was the error message I get everytime my internet gets cut off...and you may also notice that in that same message, I stated that I'm a computer moron :). I don't even know what FTP connectivity is, much less what program is used:o.

Sorry. Maybe I should have at least some computer knowledge to be here asking questions, huh?:) I called my internet provider and they said it could be due to my modem needing to be changed and to monitor if the lights on the modem go out when I get disconnected. Well, the lights don't go out on my modem when that happens so that dashes the hope that if it was my modem, at least I could go change it.

And if I haven't said it before, thank you for the suggestions and help :wave:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. If not anything to do with FTP (thought this because of "ftp.microsoft.com" error) and you are trying just Firefox and broadband, try going into Firefox's Tools>Options>Advanced tab>then Network tab. Click Settings button and make sure first box only is checked ("Direct connection to Internet).

Now, the modem. Is that provided by your IP? If so, they can access it to verify any problems. My IP has an Internet Support phone line where they get the necessary info and will troubleshoot the modem and walk me through any steps I may have to take to help them (and me).

We may have to run through flushing your IP connection and renewing it, but will wait for update to this post's info/questions.

Don't worry about being computer savvy. I hit a brickwall many times here and have to ask for help from other GTG techs. Many already have a ready solution to these problems. :)

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Went through the step on Firefox but when I click the Settings button on Network, there's no option box under "Direct connection to Internet". What I got is this:

Connection Settings

Configure Proxies to Access the Internet
O No Proxy (which is the one already selected)
O Auto-detect proxy settings for this network
O Manual proxy configuration: (with a bunch of grey areas with boxes for 'Proxy' and 'Port')
O Automatic proxy configuration URL: (another box)

As for my modem, the tech can only advice for me to bring it down to the service ctr and have it checked and if found with fault, I'll have to buy another. Yeah, they promise you everything when you first get it, not the best thing they can do for you is, "I suggest you bring it down to the service ctr and have it checked."

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. That must be Firefox 3. That's good if first one checked. Your IP is way different than mine. I take it you own your own modem and it was not supplied by IP? If so, what make and model?

Advertisements

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yup, I have Firefox 3, only very recently installed...I used to use IE. And yes, I own this modem. That's how the IP operate in singapore...you have to buy your own modem so they make more money selling you the modem in addition to charging you for broadband service...and then charging you even more when your modem goes kaput and you have to replace it :) ...bloody leeches, I tell you :)

The modem I have is Motorola SB5101...or at least I think that's the model...I've had it quite a few years. I've checked with the IP people and a new modem's gonna set me back around S$290. US$1=S$1.40

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
WOW! I bought the same modem here for $60US!. Let me check into the SB5100 and I'll get back to you. This is the User's Manual if you need it. PDF.

Edited by Major Payne, 08 December 2008 - 02:44 AM.

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:) Told you they're a bunch of leeches here... :). Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Let me get this straight. You are able to connect to Internet ok except at times you get disconnected? Then after a disconnect, you try connecting again and start getting the errors posted? The MAC address was supplied to your IP? See page 8 of User's Manual. Make sure you did do "Configuring TCP/IP in Windows XP", page 30 of User's Manual, correctly.

Can you provide me with the sequence of events? At no time do you have a problem with the modem such as normal light activity being changed?

Check the IP address:

1 On the Windows Desktop, click Start.
2 Select Run. The Run window is displayed.
3 Type cmd and click OK. A window like the one at upper left is displayed.
4 Type ipconfig and press ENTER to display your IP configuration. If an Autoconfiguration IP Address is displayed, there may be an incorrect connection between your PC and the cable modem or there are cable network problems. Look at the images on page 38 of the User's Manual.

Check:

• Your cable connections
• Whether you can see cable-TV channels on your television

After verifying your cable connections and proper cable-TV operation, you can renew your IP address.

To renew your IP address:

1 Type ipconfig /renew and press ENTER. If a valid IP address is displayed as shown at left, Internet access should be available.
2 Type exit and press ENTER to return to Windows.

Let me know results.

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Let me get this straight. You are able to connect to Internet ok except at times you get disconnected? Then after a disconnect, you try connecting again and start getting the errors posted? The MAC address was supplied to your IP? See page 8 of User's Manual. Make sure you did do "Configuring TCP/IP in Windows XP", page 30 of User's Manual, correctly.

Can you provide me with the sequence of events? At no time do you have a problem with the modem such as normal light activity being changed?

Let me know results.

Ok, I'll go through the steps when I get home...at work now for the next 9hrs. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out how to get past the disconnection. Yes, the connection work ok sometimes and then the connection gets interrupted and when that happens, this is what I get: "Connection Interrupted. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."

There's no particular time when that happens, sometimes when I try to go to any website, it works and sometimes, that's the error message that comes out.