Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FTP connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Make sure your IP hasn't given you a dynamic IP address or changes it on you at times. Modem needs to read a static address.

Just found a modem for $27 after rebate!!!! I should have looked on Internet first before I bought. :)

Were you issued an install CD for your IP? Need to go through the TCP/IP for Windows XP setup.

Edited by Major Payne, 08 December 2008 - 11:08 PM.

Advertisements

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Make sure your IP hasn't given you a dynamic IP address or changes it on you at times. Modem needs to read a static address.

Just found a modem for $27 after rebate!!!! I should have looked on Internet first before I bought. :)

Were you issued an install CD for your IP?

27 bucks?? Wow, that is so cool. Wish I could find a modem around here that would cost as little. If I bought a modem on the internet, would it still work as well as if I'd got it from my IP or does it have to be reprogrammed or something? What is dynamic IP address and if I was given it by my IP, how do I get them to give me one that doesn't change? Also, my internet connection speed is 8mbps at the moment and I want to get a faster one. My IP is offering 4 speeds for our internet usage... 2mbps, 8mbps, 12mbps and 100mbps. The difference between the the 12mbps and 100mbps is about S$40 but for the 100mbps, the modem has to be upgraded to handle the speed. Which do you think is more feasible to take?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

. If I bought a modem on the internet, would it still work as well as if I'd got it from my IP or does it have to be reprogrammed or something?

If you had bought the SB5101 from the United States and it was allowed to be exported to your country, all you need do is call your IP and give them the MAC address of the modem. It was that simple for me here. :) Your IP should not be able to force you to use their modems, but the Customer Use Policy may be totally different than what we have in the US. Heck, they differ from IP to IP. :)

Getting a speed higher than 30 Mbps isn't worth it. You will definitely have to switch modems when you approach that speed. The SB5101 specs say:

Downstream: 38 Mbps
Upstream: 30 Mbps

Is your IP listed on the Internet? If they gave you an install CD for their service, that should have configured your TCP/IP settings for you.

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Unfortunately, those speed are the only ones that are offered by my IP...nothing between 12mbps and 100mbps. Well, my IP is called Starhub but I don't know if they're listed...they should, I would think. Oh, and I didn't get any CD when they installed my connection...sent a tech to do it.

Edited by ashlaegl, 09 December 2008 - 02:43 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Found them: Home Broadband

Sent a tech, huh? Strange, as none was needed here. Just hooked modem up, went through setting up the Internet connection using Windows Networking Wizard or whatever XP calls it. On Vista now and done forgot. :) After browser connected to Internet, went to IP's page and it sense the use of modem and I was registered and done. No CD either except for the one if I have to use the USB port.

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Unfortunately, those speed are the only ones that are offered by my IP...nothing between 12mbps and 100mbps. Well, my IP is called Starhub but I don't know if they're listed...they should, I would think. Oh, and I didn't get any CD when they installed my connection...sent a tech to do it.

If I had even a little of you guys' talent with a computer, I'd die happy :) but I think if that tech hadn't come to put cables and connections in the right places on my computer and modem and left it to me, I'd probably blow up both the modem and comp from sticking cables in the wrong places... :)

Okay, checked the IP address validity and everything has it's own set of numbers so I can safely say it's all valid?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would only consider them valid if you no longer are having the same problem. Still haven't figured it out. You get those errors only on the one link or are you still getting connection interruptions?

Corrected typos.

Edited by Major Payne, 11 December 2008 - 02:39 AM.

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I would only consider them valid if you no longer are having the same problem. Still have figured it out. You get those errors only on the one link or are you still getting connection interuptions?

One link? I've taken to opening both Firefox and IE when online and I get error messages on both when the connection gets interrupted, except it'll say "unable to connect to the internet" on IE.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you tried running in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have same problem?

ashlaegl

ashlaegl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Have you tried running in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have same problem?

You know I'm going to ask this question:P ...How do you do that?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Use Windows Safe Mode
Beginners Guides: Windows XP Safe Mode Explained

Things will not look the same in Safe Mode, but you only need to connect to Internet like normal and see if you have the same drop out after being online about the same amount of time.

I'll be moving Saturday and will not have Internet for several days. Will see if I can get another tech to pick up thread as I think we will have to go through looking at the TCP/IP setup they did. In all the years I've been using the same Motorola Modem, I have never had a drop out.