Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've got a big problem.

• Please log in to reply

Jezstarr

Jezstarr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't know what the problem is exactly but i think it relates to RAM.

Well first of all I currently have A a HP desktop but I am doing a minor computer upgrade and switching to my mums old acer. The acer just isn't working properly. First of all the computer will not turn on, unless i unplug the power cord, switch off the power point, blow on the power cord and in the slot it goes in then it will turn on but only for a couple of seconds sometimes beeping. Lately it has been beeping constantly which according to a site i was looking at is a system memory problem. The only thing I did was taken it out and had a look at it then when i put it back in today the computer just wont work. If you need anymore information I will be more then happy to provide it to you. Thankyou

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I don't know what the problem is exactly but i think it relates to RAM.

Well first of all I currently have A a HP desktop but I am doing a minor computer upgrade and switching to my mums old acer. The acer just isn't working properly. First of all the computer will not turn on, unless i unplug the power cord, switch off the power point, blow on the power cord and in the slot it goes in then it will turn on but only for a couple of seconds sometimes beeping. Lately it has been beeping constantly which according to a site i was looking at is a system memory problem. The only thing I did was taken it out and had a look at it then when i put it back in today the computer just wont work. If you need anymore information I will be more then happy to provide it to you. Thankyou

THe power cord problem and your description makes me think it is a power system problem. The RAM problems can be cause by the power system as well, RAM is VERY sensitive to power conditions. I have a few questions though: [/list][*]How old is this Acer
[*]What model is it?
[*]Does it EVER boot to the OS?
[*]Do you hear any weird noises, like high-pitched squeals etc.?
[/list]

Jezstarr

Jezstarr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

THe power cord problem and your description makes me think it is a power system problem. The RAM problems can be cause by the power system as well, RAM is VERY sensitive to power conditions. I have a few questions though:

• How old is this Acer
  • What model is it?
  • Does it EVER boot to the OS?
  • Do you hear any weird noises, like high-pitched squeals etc.?

Im not really sure how old but it is an Acer Aspire t310, it has booted XP twice before. Never really makes any weird sounds either. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Jezstarr, 07 December 2008 - 07:15 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

THe power cord problem and your description makes me think it is a power system problem. The RAM problems can be cause by the power system as well, RAM is VERY sensitive to power conditions. I have a few questions though:

• How old is this Acer
  • What model is it?
  • Does it EVER boot to the OS?
  • Do you hear any weird noises, like high-pitched squeals etc.?

Im not really sure how old but it is an Acer Aspire t310, it has booted XP twice before. Never really makes any weird sounds either. Thanks for the reply.

Hmm I am gonna say this is a bad mainboard or supply. If you have any other ram chips, you can try switching them out to see if it boots. Otherwise, I would look for stuff like bad capacitors on the mainboard (for exampels see badcaps.net). Otherwise I would suspect the PSU. See if you can use another ATX PSU to get it to boot (ATX are pretty normal just compare the pins of the plugs that go to the board and make sure the wire colors match).

Jezstarr

Jezstarr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK just an update, I ripped out a PSU from my old computer that is just sitting there and put it in the new one and it fixed the power problem, the computer starts every time and it is working fine but I still have that RAM problem where it just keeps beeping constantly. Do i need to get new RAM, is there a way to fix it? I don't have any other ram that fits in there but i do have 5 sticks of ram that cant be used on all my other computers. I have also tested both slots and none work.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

OK just an update, I ripped out a PSU from my old computer that is just sitting there and put it in the new one and it fixed the power problem, the computer starts every time and it is working fine but I still have that RAM problem where it just keeps beeping constantly. Do i need to get new RAM, is there a way to fix it? I don't have any other ram that fits in there but i do have 5 sticks of ram that cant be used on all my other computers. I have also tested both slots and none work.

How many sticks are in there? If more than one. Try one stick at a time. Also try reseating them, sometimes they get dislodged for no real reason and it can cause problems. Not likely in this situation, I am more worried that the ram was killed by the PSU.

Jezstarr

Jezstarr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There is only one stick and I have tried it in both slots, I am also certain that the ram is in properly.

EDIT: Looking closer at the RAM it physically looks burnt some of the gold metal bits on the bottom are brown, actually 5 gold slot things on one side and one on the other!

Edited by Jezstarr, 07 December 2008 - 10:57 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

There is only one stick and I have tried it in both slots, I am also certain that the ram is in properly.

EDIT: Looking closer at the RAM it physically looks burnt some of the gold metal bits on the bottom are brown, actually 5 gold slot things on one side and one on the other!

Unfortunately, this is not much you can do but try a new stick. Unless someone else has a better idea and chimes in.