Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having power problems with new build

• Please log in to reply

droo09

droo09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there. I built a new computer and after plugging in all the components and plugs, the power doesn't work. I have tried most of the necessary tests; I have tried a different power supply and I have tried plugging in only the PSU with the M/board but no avail. The strange thing is, if I plug in the 24 pin power connector about halfway in, the system starts up, but if plug it in all the way, it shuts off. I am hoping someone can tell me a solution to this problem (perhaps it has to do something with jumpers, something I know practically nothing of), if not, I'm guessing my M/board is problematic?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Run through all the steps in our sticky and report back with your findings. It does sounds pretty dodgy, and if both PSUs do it, I would be tending to lean toward the motherboard.

Troy