Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for an average gaming laptop!

• Please log in to reply

oldman_needshelp

oldman_needshelp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My son has been wanting a new computer/laptop for a long time, and since Christmas is right around the corner, I finally submitted and agreed to buy him one.

Here's where you come in: I am looking for a laptop that isn't ridiculously overpriced, but then again isn't something that a welder put together :) . "Mid-range" you could call it.

I know he plays the video games: "World of Warcraft" (Not sure about the sequels) and "Warcraft 3" so I'm looking for a laptop that can run those games smoothly, as well as not crash or stall while he's playing them.

Price range is preferably under $1,000 CAD.

So if anyone can recommend a decent mid-range laptop, it would be very helpful and would probably save me a headache or two!

Thanks G2G!

Edited by oldman_needshelp, 07 December 2008 - 10:32 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well I'm a Dell fan-boy myself, so I would recommend an XPS laptop. The XPS M1530 here is probably just what you are looking for. The upgrade I recommend (the video card bumped to a 256MB GeForce 8600M for $100) will bump your price to about $1100, but the laptop is a good one, and on sale through the end of the week. The M1530 comes with 4GB of RAM, which is great, a sufficiently large hard drive, and Windows Vista 64-bit so that you can use all the RAM. If you have concerns about your son being able to run World of Warcraft on a 64-bit Vista platform, you can read this thread for comfort.

That's my recommendation. :)