Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Screen Malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply

lilsophie73

lilsophie73

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook purchased in 11/01. Several months ago the screen began to darken suddenly so that you could still make out what was on the desktop but it was extremely dark. I could resolve the problem by rebooting. I have also noticed that the problem can be temporarily fixed by pressing function + the video button (F5) . It began to happen more and more often. Of course, my warranty ran out about 6 months ago. I called Toshiba and the representative had me adjust my screen brightness settings for Power Save Mode but said that it sounded like the screen would have to be replaced. When I asked it if was expected that a screen would have to be replaced on a computer that was only 1 1/2 old, she said there were "a number of factors" that could cause the screen to go. Can anyone out there tell me if it does sound like the screen has to be replaced (or could there be a connection issue with the screen since there are ways to fix it momentarily)? Any idea how much I should expect to pay to have such a thing repaired? Would it be a better suggestion to just buy a new laptop? I'd love any advice that someone can give.

Advertisements

Blair

Blair

Testing...

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
HI lilsophie73,

Welcome to the board! :D It sounds like you're having a problem with the backlight circuit on your screen. This will probably require replacing the screen. <_< I'd look for a reputable local computer repair shop, and ask them for an estimate. A refurbished screen will probably cost between $250-$500 depending on your model of computer. It should be worth reparing.

You didn't happen to purchase this computer with a credit card that offers extended warranty protection? I know platinum Visa and Discover offer free extended warranty protection just for using their card.

Let us know what you decide...