Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Player Application

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I have installed for the first time a DVD drive into my PC and have been unable to watch any DVD's as of yet. I'm looking for some help to determine why that is.

When I put a DVD into the DVD drive, the PC recognizes there's a DVD there and messages me indicating I need to d/l a DVD Player Application. I thought that was what Windows Media Player 11 was. I've tried accessing the DVD through Windows Media Player and it gives me the following message, "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer".

So here are my questions:

Where do I get a compatible DVD decoder (are they available as shareware/freeware or do I have to purchase a DVD decoder)?

and, Do I need another DVD Player Application other than Windows Media Player, or should WMP be able to play any and all DVD's?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
WMP11 cannot play DVD-movies without additional software (a DVD-decoder to be precise). It's all to do with licensing and money. If Microsoft made WMP capable of playing DVD-movies in it's standard form it would cost them money in licencing fees, and since WMP is free, they might have to start
charging us for it or suffer reduced profits (poor Mr Gates).

You can either install just a DVD-decoder as a plug-in for WMP, or alternatively, install a 'standalone' DVD Player software, all of which contain their own built-in decoder. In either case, WMP11 will automatically detect the decoder and will be able to play DVD-movies. So if you decide to install a standalone DVD Player you will then have a choice of using either that or WMP to play a DVD with.

DVD Decoder for WMP: http://www.microsoft...er/plugins.aspx

If you decide to purchase one off this page, be sure to choose from the "Windows XP" section, not Windows Vista which is the top section.

Finally, now that you know what is required, beware of websites offering "free" DVD-decoders.
More often the word "free" means "free to download" for try-out purposes and after a specified time
it will stop working until you purchase a registration code. So you may as well buy one from the official
Microsoft page at the link above and know what you're getting.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 08 December 2008 - 04:36 AM.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I have installed for the first time a DVD drive into my PC

I'm surprised your DVD drive didn't come with an installation CD containing the necessary decoders & driver sneeded to play DVD's

I've bought several over the years and every single one has come with the software.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I have installed for the first time a DVD drive into my PC

I'm surprised your DVD drive didn't come with an installation CD containing the necessary decoders & driver sneeded to play DVD's

I've bought several over the years and every single one has come with the software.

Actually, it was a used DVD drive I picked up for free. The problem has been taken care of however. I d/l VLC Media Player and that did the trick. Watched a DVD on the PC last night and it was great.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Personally, I've never seen any installation CD coming with DVD drive.

konakula29er
As for WMP...
Download, and install K-Lite Codec Pack: http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

VLC Playes is the best.

Edited by Broni, 09 December 2008 - 11:06 PM.