Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hi all! i don't know if this is the right place but......

• Please log in to reply

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
:) hi all ! i have been having this problem with my internet and i can not get on a forum without this message coming up!
Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

i'm not sure what it is although i have done a virus scan and nothing!
I have no other trouble with any other sites of forums! Just the one and i have to get on here as i help!!! :)
please can someone offer some help and i have seen 1 topic here about it and it refers to the reg and policies and deleting a ratings key but i can't find the actual ratings key!, i have found some policies but nothing labeled ratings or named ratings please help!! :wave:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What website are you trying to access that gives you this message?

Is this a networked computer? Are you part of a domain with limited access?

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi first of all thank you for answering me :) ! And second of all it is this forum:
http://aponeesimz.com/my_house/

i know everyone else can get on here as i have asked various people to do it and have even spoke to the admin and mods there! And there is a topic here at geeks to go refering to it and it is here (for reference!)

http://www.geekstogo...ed-t131023.html

and it tells me sort of what to do but doesn't tell me how to do it! And i'm not limited domain and it is just a normal home computer. With broadband! and i have access to all things no limits. I have tryed all the obvious things to see if there is a virus or there is something like a block in my internet options and all sorts but i do not like touching the reg unless i have instructions on where to go.I even deleted all my internet history and reset my browser with no effect. I'm a bit fustrated now as i can't get on this site and i really need to as i'm involved in various things there for christmas .I think i will go for a computer course after christmas to show me all the registry workings and things too ,i'm quite good with a computer but have never wanted to dabble with the reg just incase but if someone as clever as the people i have seen on this site helps me then i won't be so worried about following the instructions. :wave:
It is XP professional . thank you clare :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

I agree, the registry is not a place for someone to play in unless they know what they're doing. The advice given by SirMrX should have been stricken from the forum thread as the instruction is unclear and given without proper warnings about editing the registry.

You see, the problem with giving you advice to cirvumvent security policies on a computer, is that I cannot verify that I could be giving you information you shouldn't have. It's also against Geeks to Go policies that I do give you this information.

I will contact someone in Admin to address this thread and if they decide to help you, then they will.

makai

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
:wave: Thanks for your reply again and yes i thought it was a bit strange that they didn't give any warning or any instructions either! And a totally newbie doesn't want to go messing with a reg or someone who is computer literate with most knowledge like me ,but like i said the registry is a bit dodgy to mess with unless you have the right information.Thank you though for doing the right thing as you may get into trouble and i don't want that as you were only trying to help me and just to update here i know have 2 sites i can't access :) The 2nd isn't much of a worry but i could get into it a week ago! now i can't, maybe i need a better virus programme or something and i hope that someone does help me and takes this up. As your site does look very qualified to help as i have read other interesting things on here and lots of help they were too. :help: Thanks clarex But it seems to almost be spreading i hope it only stays there. :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello again,
Thank you for being so understanding and pleasant! It actually makes me smile! :)

There is still something we can do while we're waiting for someone from Admin.

If you open IE and go to Tools, Internet Options, Content tab, can you Disable the Content Advisor, or are you required to enter a password?

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
:) hi and you are welcome! I have done this already sorry to be a pain! I put the sites on trusted site and everything and no joy.

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi just a quick update just to let you know i was looking through your posts and decided to change my antivirus (just in case!) And was soo annoyed as my avg 8.0 has not been doing its job at all and as i said there were NO viruses yesterday and now there were 130 trojans or adwares or malwares on my computer and avg didn't detect not 1!! I have quaranteened them but i'm not sure what do do with them? And i need to know its ok to delete them and also i'm still having the message after doing this too and it maybe its changed something (the trojans!) And i have tryed making it a trusted site and also checking nothing had blocked it! I turned off my firewall for 5 mins to see if it worked then (it didn't either!) I'm now at a loss and rather annoyed about avg letting in all those viruses! :) And yes it was updated and new! :wave: which really surprised me! Well thats my little rant hehe! But not at you this site has been invaluable so far and thank you for the recommending other programmes as i wouldn't of tryed something else either. well maybe in the end. :)

Edited by lilac_sim, 10 December 2008 - 02:31 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not too sure if this will help, but since you use Win XP Pro, look into:

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Local Security Policy / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment / Deny access to this computer from the network and see whether that can be disabled. Or, if you are operating as aguest while trying to access the site (which I had no problem doing using Vista), try removing guest if it is there.

No Registry keys should have to be edited. Pro and some Security apps set policy on certain sites because it is either an unknown or on a blacklist they refer to. Even some critical updates from MS have been know to change the way security reacts. Finding what is the cause is the hard part.

Just my 2 cents so please excuse interruption of thread.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Discovering trojans on your computer is not good.

I'm going to recommend you open a new thread in the Malware forum and have someone help you check your computer. I'm not sure if this has anything to do to with your not being able to access that website you're being blocked from, but you should have your computer checked right away.

After you're done with the malware help, return to this thread and be sure to PM me if you still need help accessing that website. You'll need to PM me so I know you're back because this posting will most likely get lost on some other page by the time you're done working with the malware folks.

Advertisements

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks sweetie for your help you rock! :) :) And i will!
And thank you major payne too i will look there now and no i'm not a guest i'm a registered user there and have been for a while. Thats why i was wondering whats going on and it was rather annoying and thanks for your help too.

Edited by lilac_sim, 10 December 2008 - 08:05 AM.

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi again and thanks major payne but that didn't work either :) Hmmm i'm going to get rid of any nasties and then try! :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Thanks for the "sweet" comments! :)

Be sure to get back to us after you're done with Malware. And, don't forget to PM me!

makai

Edited by makai, 10 December 2008 - 06:44 PM.

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
you are welcome and will be back !!! see you soon i hope! :)

lilac_sim

lilac_sim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
:) hi i'm now virus and trojan free thanks to emerald! Thank you again emerald! Now here i am again trying to sort out the access denied messages! yes they are still there and were spreading!! i have now had about 10 messages from different sites now! :) Well here is the message again and hope i can sort it out!
Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

thanks so far for all the help! :)