Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems building my computer

• Please log in to reply

burdell1

burdell1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a new motherboard and processor awhile back and was going to build a home theater pc. I never got it to work right, so i kinda gave up on it for awhile. However, the other day my main computer quit turning on, so I decided to try again with the new one. However, it seems that now the computer starts up, the fan runs, but there is no output of a video signal from the VGA output (which is built into the motherboard.) Then after a few tries, when try starting the computer again, the fan comes on for a few seconds then the fan stops. any ideas on what it might be? i took out the battery to reset the CMOS, but that didn't help. I also read that manual \:\) but no luck. any suggestions? i just hope I didn't fry the CPU when i put it in. !

also, i took the motherboard and power supply out to try it outside of the case and it did the same thing. Last night I bought a new power supply from Best Buy and after I turned it on, the fan started up and a couple of sparks came off of the heatsink! i then tried it again, and now the fan will turn on....run for a little while...then stop....and then it will start again (this is the CPU fan and the power supply fan.) Any ideas? I'm desperate to get this working as soon as possible. thanks!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go burdell1. :)

Obviously sparks coming off your heatsink is not something you want to see. Is there a speaker on this motherboard. Does it make any beeps? A beep code would save some time.

Another good possibility is that the motherboard is grounded to the case. Do you remember installing brass standoffs in the case? You might want to try removing everything from the case, and see if it works then.