Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp playing up?

• Please log in to reply

henson0115

henson0115

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi i have been sent over from malware, with a few problems. a link to my malware post is HERE. basicly my taskbar doesnt work at all, its there but is completly useless. windows takes about 2 minutes to log in and about 5 minutes on top to get to desktop. i cannot copy and paste links, files, anything really. i also noticed my processes go down from 70 to 46 not sure if that is anything to do with it. programs dont run, and the ones that do pop up errors. no sound device installed. but its there and i no it should work. there may be a few extras but im not 100 percent sure yet as i cannot really use the computer for much except the net. thanks

edit: i cannot copy and post the link to my malware post, ive tried typing it out but it just goes to th forums the topic is trojans being a pain.

Edited by BHowett, 08 December 2008 - 10:16 AM.
added working link to malware forum

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like the infection damaged some system files. I'd recommend starting with a repair install. It will correct any problems with the system files, and you won't lose any data.

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi i tried the repair feature but it seems my windows installation is to corrupt. as per the repair walkthrough.

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ive looked for other ways to repair, im either missing something or just blind.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what kind of errors do you get when trying the repair option...

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
the one that says windows isn't there or corrupt, cant remember 100 percent but can always retry and type exactly what it says.

Edited by henson0115, 10 December 2008 - 08:00 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
might be easier to just run sfc /scannow...

if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

note the single space between sfc and /

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem...

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.
Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i ran the scannow, the progress bar appeared and completed then nothing else happened. no dialog box

Edited by henson0115, 11 December 2008 - 01:58 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how is is running now....
check for updates for xp...

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
everything is exactly the same and windows update wont even load IE never mind run lol

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a couple of things you can try ..Chkdsk and also lets see if the drive reverted from DMA to PIO mode
Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers .... right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings... tab. and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode. for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change...then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting again in the future it indicates a problem with your hard drive. You must keep your backups current ... I highly recommend keeping FREQUENT backups anyway...just in case your hard drive fails....

Using Chkdsk

Chkdsk is a utility designed to check the integrity of the data on a computer's hard disk drive as well as find and fix errors which could corrupt such data.

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can repair minor Windows problems

There are several different methods that can be used to run chkdsk
start with this one.....

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /f /r and then press ...ENTER...NOTE,,,THIS IS THE ONE I RECOMMEND

typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

OR
chkdsk c: /f and then press ...ENTER...

Typing chkdsk c: /f will only fix errors that are encountered but its much faster

5. With either command, a message will appear that says...chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...ENTER...
7. A message will appear that will say...This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts
8. Type exit and then press ...ENTER...
9. Reboot the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot... While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE..DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS..
this can take a long time and may even appear to hang at a % and stay there for 20 or 30 minutes ...it may even back up and redo a section...this is OK..

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
when i click properties on the ide channel no box pops up as it should.

the chkdsk ran, did its thing but still everything is that same, as before. so no changes

cheers shane.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how does it run in safe mode with networking...if its the same ....
I would back up any data and then go to the computer manufactures website and get ALL your drivers downloaded and burned to a cd ...
then wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of windows...
unless admin has something else he would like to try...

Edited by happyrock, 13 December 2008 - 08:00 AM.

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
no way im installing a new copy of windows, i havnt tried it in safe mode. i will do though. i have a ghost image which im not sure how badly is infected. i will try that aswell if need be.

Edited by henson0115, 13 December 2008 - 08:38 AM.

henson0115

henson0115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
no luck in safe mode, did a full chkdsk with no look either.