Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

SP 3 installation

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Service Pack 2 running perfectly on my XP Home edition, version 2002. I am trying to install Service Pack 3 but it stops and I get the following messages:

"Set up cannot copy the file: mswdat10.dll"

"Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert "Windows XP System files" in the drive you specify."

Copy files from:

What do I do now? Many thanks for any help.

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Welcome to geeks to go

Here is something to look at while I look for some more info.

Here is some more info on the SP3. http://www.iaps.com/...guidelines.html
I know its not much help, but someone else will be looking at the post.

Things to check that are stated in the links.
Disconnect from the internet.
Shutdown virus scanners and malware scanners.
Shutdown anything else running in the background.

Edited by 123Runner, 08 December 2008 - 04:07 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Also: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages) FREE Support

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at http://support.micro...ecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support is available.