Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont shut down properly!

• Please log in to reply

atkt9800

atkt9800

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got this computer from a friend and its way faster than my other computer, BUT I cant seem to get the darn thing to shut down properly. I went to Start-Shutdown and then the screen goes blank but the mouse and keyboard remain on. I can also hear that the tower is still on. Then when I press the power button to turn the computer back on nothing happens. I have to press and hold the power button, it then shuts down the computer and then I have to press the power button again. Then the computer starts and I end up getting Scandisk, improper shutdown detected.
The computer is an HP pavilion with Windows ME. I contacted HP and they gave me some things to try, neither worked. Ive googled the issue and havent had any luck :) I never receive the message on my monitor telling me that "Its now safe to turn off your computer". Please, please, please HELP!

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I just got this computer from a friend and its way faster than my other computer, BUT I cant seem to get the darn thing to shut down properly. I went to Start-Shutdown and then the screen goes blank but the mouse and keyboard remain on. I can also hear that the tower is still on. Then when I press the power button to turn the computer back on nothing happens. I have to press and hold the power button, it then shuts down the computer and then I have to press the power button again. Then the computer starts and I end up getting Scandisk, improper shutdown detected.
The computer is an HP pavilion with Windows ME. I contacted HP and they gave me some things to try, neither worked. Ive googled the issue and havent had any luck :) I never receive the message on my monitor telling me that "Its now safe to turn off your computer". Please, please, please HELP!

I hate to say it but part of the problem is Windows ME. THat is BY FAR the worst operating system MS ever released (and I LOVE Vista, so I am not just bashing MS). It is honestly super bug, super insecure and just pain junk. I think you may be seeing a problem with Windows ME. If you can afford it, I advise you upgrade to WinXP or use one of the free linux operating systems such as Ubuntu. Any of these will give you a better user experience and a more stable and secure OS than ME.