Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crash, Boom and Bang, need help recovering files from XP!

• Please log in to reply

redlion

redlion

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I had posted this in a similar thread, which it was pointed out to me that no issues can be dealt with in exactly the same way...Here is my original post.....

I had a similar problem. Got a virus, booted up into safe mode, ran software, removed virus....then could not boot up normally. It would only boot to safe mode. Period.

I have not even gone to bed yet...lol Not until I get this fixed. I am begging for help now from you, as this is the only forum I have found that is even halfway intelligent.

I did try and repair the issue with my original XP set up....now I cannot get even safe mode up to check what the problem is....It keeps sending me back to "Initializing set up...cannot start from safe mode restarting set up now." Then I end up in exactly the same place, circling around and around.

About 3am this morning....I reprogrammed a new XP onto my computer (In the same partition, hoping it would jump start my original version), so at least I can get to the internet. At this point....I would just be happy to recover my Office software off of that old set up.

I don't have that disc, or it could be in Indiana, who knows? I just relocated back to this area and am desperate to get a job...I seriously need Microsoft Office to get at my resume...oh and some pdf files that were my pride and joy....Great Letters of Recommendation...lol

Is there a way to get back into that original operation? Or if nothing else, recover files?

Help, help, help!

Oh yeah..I did try that article suggestions also...but my system did not recognize the Boot.ini file....

Thank you so much...your forum at least gave me hope...

Redlion

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

[b]About 3am this morning....I reprogrammed a new XP onto my computer (In the same partition, hoping it would jump start my original version), so at least I can get to the internet. At this point....I would just be happy to recover my Office software off of that old set up.

I don't have that disc, or it could be in Indiana, who knows? I just relocated back to this area and am desperate to get a job...I seriously need Microsoft Office to get at my resume...oh and some pdf files that were my pride and joy....Great Letters of Recommendation...lol

Is there a way to get back into that original operation? Or if nothing else, recover files?

Help, help, help!

Oh yeah..I did try that article suggestions also...but my system did not recognize the Boot.ini file....

Redlion

If you simply repaired Windows, then you should have all your documents in their place, as they were. Since you asked, I assume you Reinstalled Windows, which would overwrite everything. The best thing you might be able to do is run a file recovery program. There are several freeware options. I've found my favorite to be Undelete Plus. It's a free program that recovers available files from a Hard Drive pretty efficiently. Your best bet will be to do this as soon as possible, to minimize the risk that you happen to overwrite any of your old files.

And as for your office software... If you can't find the install package and license, check out Open Office Suite (freeware). It's a complete freeware office productivity suite based on the same kernel as Microsoft Office, meaning it'll open all your old files and do all the things MS Office does... for FREE

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We are all volunteers here, so please be patient.

Need to know if this is a desktop or laptop.
Also, what brand of computer? Dell. HP, home built?

Do not reformat untill you are told to do so. Generally we do not recommend a reformat.

I did try and repair the issue with my original XP set up

What steps did you take?
Was this through the recovery console?

I reprogrammed a new XP onto my computer (In the same partition, hoping it would jump start my original version)

What did you do here? Did you do a full reinstall including a format?
If you reformatted, we won't be able to get your data.

In attempts to get your data,
If you have available another computer, you can slave the drive to another desktop.
You can also use a USB enclosure for a desktop or laptop drive and then hook to another computer and then move your files.
We can help you when we get a few answers.

123runner

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

[b]About 3am this morning....I reprogrammed a new XP onto my computer (In the same partition, hoping it would jump start my original version), so at least I can get to the internet. At this point....I would just be happy to recover my Office software off of that old set up.

Help, help, help!

Redlion

If you simply repaired Windows, then you should have all your documents in their place, as they were. Since you asked, I assume you Reinstalled Windows, which would overwrite everything. The best thing you might be able to do is run a file recovery program. There are several freeware options. I've found my favorite to be Undelete Plus. It's a free program that recovers available files from a Hard Drive pretty efficiently. Your best bet will be to do this as soon as possible, to minimize the risk that you happen to overwrite any of your old files.

And as for your office software... If you can't find the install package and license, check out Open Office Suite (freeware). It's a complete freeware office productivity suite based on the same kernel as Microsoft Office, meaning it'll open all your old files and do all the things MS Office does... for FREE

Thank you so much for responding...I tried repairing....all that did was send me into a loop of not only booting up in safe mode, but now, even that stops because "Set Up" can't initialize in safe mode...lol Now I am unable to access anything in that particular version. Sort of a blackhole on my hard drive.

Like your suggestions...will check them out.

Thank you sooooo much!

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

We are all volunteers here, so please be patient.

Need to know if this is a desktop or laptop.
Also, what brand of computer? Dell. HP, home built?

Do not reformat untill you are told to do so. Generally we do not recommend a reformat.

I did try and repair the issue with my original XP set up

What steps did you take?
Was this through the recovery console?

I reprogrammed a new XP onto my computer (In the same partition, hoping it would jump start my original version)

What did you do here? Did you do a full reinstall including a format?
If you reformatted, we won't be able to get your data.

In attempts to get your data,
If you have available another computer, you can slave the drive to another desktop.
You can also use a USB enclosure for a desktop or laptop drive and then hook to another computer and then move your files.
We can help you when we get a few answers.

123runner

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was impatient..lol...I passed panic attack, going insane at about 5am this morning. Been up for almost 48hrs...please bear with me..

To answer your questions: Desk top, Dell

Tried the recovery console...ouch...last straw was to reinstall. No, I didn't do a format, lol...even install this one in the same partition. I can see the files, I just can't execute...Especially the Microsoft Office Suite, says I need to run SET.UP for this user.

No...I wish I had another computer, but sadly, not right now. My desperation is due to my having a very important interview, been w/o a job for 3 months, and my resume and Letters of Recommendation are stuck in that XP black hole...lol

Thank you again for your help!

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
OK..so tried the undeleteplus software....hmmmm.....jsut gave me a bunch of numbered files with empty folders? 160, to be exact.

I have not a single idea as to how to decode these files.

Seriously, is it just me? or does this seem like a really strange thing? I can see these files on my computer, but I just can't get to them? Gotta love the technological advances of our world!

Thank you again to those who responded. I will keep checking back if anyone has any other ideas?

Redlion

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Quick update:

Was able to recover almost everything...music files and other junk. The only thing I cannot get is the Microsoft Office 2003 from that XP first version. Any suggestions?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You will not be able to save installed programs. They intertwine themselves in the windows folders and registry.

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you for your reply...I finally figured that out at exactly 60 hours after this whole thing started. Nothing like a little knowledge to waste your time...lol

Thank you so much for this site, and all your help. With the knowledge I did learn on here I was able to (I meant RECOVER) cover quite a lot that I thought was lost forever. Really appreciate it.

Red Lion

Edited by redlion, 09 December 2008 - 07:38 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please give us an update of where you stand with the computer.
What issues do we still have?

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Bless your heart, 123Runner-

Ok, so I have finished weeping over the fact that MS 2003 is gone forever. Now, I was trying to delete the corrupted WINNT system off of my hard drive. I have been researching the site and hopefully found my answers. Did it the hard way though.

One question- I still show the file WINNT on my local disc drive C: I finally ended up just archiving the file under PROPERTIES: Attributes

It is running now...says it will take 5 hours to do so? Hmmmm

Ouch. I think I may have screwed up?

Edit: now its says it will take 1 hour, only been running about 20 minutes.

Edited by redlion, 09 December 2008 - 07:35 PM.