Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Clean Laptop Screen Help?

• Please log in to reply

SkN

SkN

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Anyone know how to get pencil lead smudges off laptop screens?

Thanks

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Anyone know how to get pencil lead smudges off laptop screens?

Thanks

Pencil lead smudges should just buff out with wiping, you can try using isopropanol (aka isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol) to help clean some (or windex), both used carefully by spraying onto your cloth/paper towel not onto the screen. I can't think of anything else to get graphite off. If it is scratched though, there isn't much you can do.

Those are about as harsh as I would go though, I wouldn't recommend the use of acetone or any nonpolar solvents like (tolune or benzene or hexanes) as there is a good chance they will distort the plastic of the screen ( I made an iPod screen completely opaque with acetone one time).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 08 December 2008 - 05:13 PM.

SkN

SkN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tried your method and it worked to a certain extent. Looks like I can't get completely off, thanks anyways.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I tried your method and it worked to a certain extent. Looks like I can't get completely off, thanks anyways.

Np, sry it didn't all come out. My guess is that it has actually embedded itself in the screen some and that it why it is staying in there. Never had pencil smudges on my screen. Did have a 2 yr old write with a sharpie on a crt screen before. As a chemist, I know acetone removes sharpie(and ALL other permanent markers) EASILY, we use it to mark our glassware and it just runs right off with acetone. So that was an easy clean.

SkN

SkN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I had a manual drafting class (pure pencil & paper) a year ago and well I used my laptop for notes. You can pretty much guess what happens lol. It hasn't bothered me too much until now.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I had a manual drafting class (pure pencil & paper) a year ago and well I used my laptop for notes. You can pretty much guess what happens lol. It hasn't bothered me too much until now.

Heh, yeah I took a class like that back in HS. Graphite and eraser shavings EVERYWHERE.