Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to make a movie with decent resolution?

• Please log in to reply

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi

Im a beginner at doing this but i managed to make my first video from windows movie maker. I recorded a game i was playing using FRAPS. Then imported it into windows movie maker and added some music to it. But the quality it ended up saving the movie file to was very poor. Im just wondering if there is any way to save it with a decent resolution for a more better quality picture? I tried looking around for it but was unsuccessfull

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The thing to remember is... what goes in, comes out... but less than what went in. What was the resolution of the video source (how large was the file)? What was the file format?

Windows movie maker is really only meant to create videos for computer use, email and such. It's not meant to create high resolution files. If you want decent resolution output, you first need a good video source, then a good program to convert the file to a source which is DVD compliant, then a program to encode/author the video to DVD. Windows movie maker tries to do this all at once and is why the output lacks. I know of no free programs that can do video effectively. However, there are a lot of trial software you can experiment with before buying... but you first need to know what needs to be done to the source video.

If you can tell me what the file format is of your source video, perhaps I can help you out a little more or point you somewhere.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I actually managed to create a decent resolution video with sony vegas pro. I did 2 copies, one good copy with high res for myself and a 640 x 480 for youtube. I know if i make a very good resolution video and put it on youtube it will take forever to download to watch it so i didnt worry about making it super good. 640 x 480 is enough for youtube i think.

The source file i cannot remember exactly i am at work at the moment and the source files are at home. I think they might be .av i used the programs called FRAPS and it saves the video files at a maximum size of 3.9 gig. I think it does that because of the NTFS file system

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you said "game", I thought you meant a game that someone was playing... a sporting event.

In any case, yes Sony Vegas Pro will work and I guess it did for you. Good show!

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
haha sorry i should of been more clear, yeh computer game