Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ZoneAlarm Firewall help

• Please log in to reply

RichAnd

RichAnd

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'm using ZoneAlarm Firewall and I need to block avnotify.exe.

avnotify.exe is an anoying popup i get when i update Avira AV.

Anyway to block it threw Zonealarm or any other method?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would not block it as it is the program that initiates the database update. I use the same program with ZoneAlaem and it is one of those irritating splash screens that comes with using some of the free programs. You could open ZA's Control Panel, go to Program Control>Programs. Scroll down the list of programs until you find it (actually under Antivirus Updater with Avira logo). Probably has green check or blue question marks showing. Just left-click on the part you want to change and chose the Block option.

Other option is to use ClamWin. Very nice little antivirus program. Others recommend AVG or Avast. All free.

Edited by Major Payne, 08 December 2008 - 07:13 PM.

RichAnd

RichAnd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thank will try Clamwin! :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I may uninstall Avira myself as that popup screen on a database update is getting very, very tiresome. :) Need to check out the Avira site first to see if they have suggestions on stopping splash screen. ClamWin can be set up to scan individual folders/files at different dates/times. Suggest letting it do a full HD scan first.