Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express browser link issue

• Please log in to reply

xena11

xena11

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
A few months ago i started getting a "locate Link Browser" dialog box popping up every time I would click a link embedded into an email. If I just closed the box the page would come up. Then for an unknown reason closing the box no longer caused the page to open. So I tried surfing in the "locate Link Browser" dialog box to IE EXPLORER. Thinking that would create an association between the embedded link and IE. Now I no longer get the box but all email links open my home page instead of the intended address.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
This looks like the page which might help you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821692

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Try this from Microsoft.

To resolve this problem change the registered file type for the URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol file type to use Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
3. In the Registered File Types list, click URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol, click Advanced, and then click Edit.
4. In the Actions box, type open.
5. In the Application used to perform action box, locate Internet Explorer (Iexplore.exe), and then click Open.
6. In the Application box, type IExplore, and then click OK.

Do the same for URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy.

xena11

xena11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is the same help I received from a friend. Step 3" URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol" is not an option in the drop down. I can not even use the "new " drop down to get there. can it be named anything else????

Thanks

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

This is the same help I received from a friend. Step 3" URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol" is not an option in the drop down. I can not even use the "new " drop down to get there. can it be named anything else????

Thanks

I don't think you're in the Folder options. There's no "drop down".
Try this.
Open any folder (My Documents, My Pictures, etc).
On the menubar at the top, click "Tools".
Click "Folder Options" on the drop menu.
On the Folder Options box, click the "File types" tab.
Then continue from Step 3 of the instructions.
T.

xena11

xena11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thats the spot. When the HT Trans Protocol did not show up I Tried the "new" box right below the window of registered file types. Ientered url into the type then secected advanced. That is where you have the drop down menu for the associated file types. The closest there if Hypertext terminal file andHyperText template. Same selections in the filetypes menu you had me checking.
is there any reasonthat the URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
could be missing? I looked several times and I amsure Im in the right spot

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
No it shouldn't be missing.
It should be near the beginning of the list and read [NONE]URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol.
If it's not there, try going to IE and click Tools>Internet Options>Program tab and at the bottom click the "Reset Web Settings button. Apply and OK. Reboot.
Check the File types to see if it's there.

If that fails to work, go to this site http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and download the URL File Association Fix.
Unzip it to the Desktop and double click the Reg file. Click yes to enter the information into the Registry.