Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System resources low + other probs

• Please log in to reply

Juliejammy

Juliejammy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;) I am running ME, and my system resources are really low, like never higher than 80% and lowest can be 17% usually somewhere in the middle. When i run scandisk or disk defrag - i get messages that says something like "a program is writing to disk in background, please close all programs..." but there is nothing that i can find that is OPEN!!! or else it simply runs to about 8% complete then restarts over and over and over again. It takes long to reboot or boot from start. I have disabled a lot of items from the start menu that (I think) don't need to be there, i don't use wallpaper either....sometimes when i try to type in a seach engine - the cursor does not move nor show any cursors then in the "close dialog" box it says that Acrord32 is not responding.

Here is what is running in it right now:

Geeks to Go window
Explorer
Ctfmon
lexplore
Enternet
Winmgmt
Msnappau
Acrord32
Poproxy
Loadqm
Systray
Navapw32
Mdm
Nprotect

What other info can i share to help me? ;)

HELP PLEASE!
:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when running defrag or scan disk, control-alt-del and end task on everything except system tray and explorer.

As for what is going on here....download process explorer from www.sysinternals.com

run it and if you could, do a screen capture.

Juliejammy

Juliejammy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi gerryf:

:tazz: Thanks for your help! I followed your instructions and ctrl/alt/del everything but those 2 items, ran a defrag(relatively quick), ran scandisk (took 4hrs & after 90min got that msg that says "scandisk has restarted 10x because windows or another prog has been writing to this drive. Quitting running some progs may enable Scandisk to finish sooner - after which i chose "do not show this warning again" and let it continue scanning)

I then downloaded the Process Explorer program. I looked at the program while it was (i think)running but not sure what to do with it. I don't know how to do a screen capture...can you walk me thru it?
All that is now running in the close program box is:

Geeks to go Explorer
Explorer
Ctfmon
Msnappau
Rundll32
Enternet
Poproxy
Loadqm
Systray
Navapw32
Mdm
Nprotect

Currently my system resources are at 66%. My puter is a 633 MHz intel celeron processor with a 15GB hard drive, 128KB L2 cache(66 MHz system bus), 64 MB SyncDRAM(256 MB max).

Since doing the defrag and scandisk, my system DOES seem to be quicker to respond....but the resources still seem low, and am thinking they will just keep dropping like usual.

Any other help or advice will be appreciated!!!! ;)

;)
Thanks!