Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspirion E1505 user32.dll issue

• Please log in to reply

Jenn C

Jenn C

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:) Please I followed the wonderful advise from Admin Superhero: "One of the best kept secrets of Windows XP is it's built in repair feature!

In previous versions of Windows, correcting an operating system error, or installing a new motherboard, usually meant formating and reinstalling, resulting in loss of all data. Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system!"

[size=4]This helped to a degree, once I input an XP PROFESSIONAL disk, I was able to follow the instructions and get Windows to run. However, when I restarted the computer, more problems began. Windows would begin but when I clicked the user's icon, an error message stating the product key codes didn't match and wouldn't let me in at all. Is there a work around for this?

My husband helped me realize that the Dell has XP MEDIA CENTER on it. I've never seen a Media Center disk. The computer owner (a lady from church) brought me all the disks she had for the laptop and there are no back up disks, for the OS. I did the steps again and got into Windows again and downloaded Keyfinder, from Jellybean but it only shows the Key I entered while using the XP PROFESSIONAL and did not even mention the XP MEDIA CENTER OS.
Any suggestions??

Edited by Jenn C, 09 December 2008 - 12:25 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The Windows XP and the Windows XP Pro Product Keys are not going to match. If you did just a repair of XP using the Pro disk the Registry Keys were changed for the disk you were using. Unless you have files/programs that you want to save/work, you might want to use the original Recovery disk that came with the computer. Using the original Recovery disk will restore the PC to same condition it was when it came out of the box. Which means getting driver/critical updates all over again. Possibly even installing later Service Packs. If you had programs installed, these have to be reinstalled after a Recovery disk use.

If you aren't needing any files or programs to save, you might just go ahead and install the Pro version completely. I take it that it is an upgrade from what was on the PC? Then go to Windows Update site and get all the updates you need. I recommend the Custom scan until you have updated all you need.

Jenn C

Jenn C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As all of that makes sense & I will probably end up installing the Pro version completely; what is the deal with Media Center? Is that just a program added to XP Home Edition, or Pro? I don't want to lose that functionality for the owner. However, she evidently either cannot find or does not have any recovery disks from when she firs got the computer.

Thank you,
Jenn

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

what is the deal with Media Center? Is that just a program added to XP Home Edition, or Pro?

I'm sure it's a little more technical than this... But it's almost like a glorified Jukebox. :)

It's an optional massive program that manages all your media, allowing you to organize it on your computer and share it wirelessly with Media Center Extenders, such as your XBOX 360. It's neat to play around with, but not something that will affect productivity or system capability in other areas. It is only included in XP in the Media Center edition; not in Pro or Home editions. It is, however, included in Vista Home Premium and Ultimate.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Certain version of Win XP comes with the Media Center package. Mine did. My sister's is XP Pro, but doesn't have the Media package. It is great if you like to see movies and listen to music. Great tools for setting up your own or for playing movies/music from different sources. Usually can be installed separately if need be.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Just what were the names of the original disks that came with the computer? If you have made any changes, the original cab files may have been wiped which contained all the files needed for making new original CDs of Windows.

Edited by Major Payne, 09 December 2008 - 11:17 AM.

Jenn C

Jenn C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Just what were the names of the original disks that came with the computer? If you have made any changes, the original cab files may have been wiped which contained all the files needed for making new original CDs of Windows.

All of the DELL disks say "already installed on your computer/for reinstalling _____ (name of software, CyperLink, Sonic RecordNow, Roxio)"
There are a couple of disks, like Linksys router setup disk, and some that look like they are for her desktop. she gave me an XP home edition, that must be for her desktop as well, and a box of Microsoft Works Suite disks. So, nothing that resembles a reinstall for Windows.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try that as soon as I can.

We may be talking for a while here, I haven't even turned on her Desktop of which she states there's a virus problem.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. If you even suspect there's a virus problem, please see the malware section of the forum.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
If you need a CD that you know will work, simply call Dell at 800-624-9896, or use our Chat feature to bypass the accents. :) If you tell them that you need a Windows XP CD, they will gladly send you a replacement CD regardless of warranty status. That is because the CDs themselves are made by Dell, not Microsoft, so there are no licensing or shipping costs save that of overnight mail to you.

And if they say that your computer is out of warranty and you have to pay for the CD, just argue a little bit, or offer to discuss it with a supervisor. You'll get the CD.

The CD you are looking for, if you have it, says OPERATING SYSTEM up at the top, beneath that it says ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER. It will probably be black, light green, or dark blue. Again, if you can't find it, just get a hold of Dell and they'll hook you up.

And don't pay for anything!

Oh about the product key - when you get/find the Dell CD, you will not get prompted for the product key found on the bottom of your laptop. That is because the Dell reinstallation CD, while very similar to a normal CD, scans the laptop's BIOS for the service tag and uses that to generate the product key. All this is done behind the scenes, so you know that if you get prompted for a product key, you aren't using Dell's CD.

Edited by The Admiral, 10 December 2008 - 02:42 PM.

Jenn C

Jenn C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:) Thanks Admiral. I wonder if I can call for her. I don't have all her personal info. I had suggested she call Dell and she was going to pick up the computer tomorrow and do that. I thought calling myself might speed things up. The idea that Dell builds back doors that must go through the Service Tag # makes sense.

I appreciate the encouragement that she shouldn't have to pay for anything. She will be so glad. :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
They will ask for the name of the owner. Let's say that your friend from church got it from another friend at church, who got it from their parent's work as a graduation present. That might be hard to get the name of the original owner, especially if ownership was never transferred on Dell's side. But, if your friend at church is the one who bought it from Dell, you should have no problem calling in and saying that you are calling for ____, and as long as you have that name, you can get the CDs.