Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where's my e-mails?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I am having a problem getting my Outlook Express 6 to work properly. I am in the process of transferring a back up of My Docs, Favorites, Desktop, and OE6 to a newer PC that I just purchased through a university surplus sale. Prior to doing the back up of the old PC, I documented all the necessary information from OE6 for my e-mail account, i.e., everything that was listed on the 'General' and 'Servers' tab under Tools, Accounts, Properties. Everything appears to be set up exactly the way it was before. When I clicked on the 'Send/Receive' button, I received several new e-mails as expected, however though each e-mail provides the information in the 'from', 'subject', and 'received' categories, each e-mail is completely blank (no text, no pics, no nothing).
I double clicked through each e-mail to bring them up in their own window and they are all blank. Any ideas why that might be?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Click on View on the menu bar and then layout in OE. Make sure that the Preview pane is active and choose if you want it below or next to the mail list, with or without header info. That should get your settings back to how you like it. The newer system may have the preview pane turned off as a security measure.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Howszit?

Click on View on the menu bar and then layout in OE. Make sure that the Preview pane is active and choose if you want it below or next to the mail list, with or without header info. That should get your settings back to how you like it. The newer system may have the preview pane turned off as a security measure.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and it did not work. OE6 seems pretty screwed up. I'm thinking it may be due to the fact that this PC was purchased from a university's surplus sale. They DID NOT erase the HD. I'm in the process of doing that and installing my own Windows XP OS. I think that should fix the problem for me.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Wow.. If I had bought a second hand system the 1st thing I'd do is completely reformat and reload all device drivers for the MB and PCI cards. So this is not your system that would need data recovery at all. It's just not capable of displaying what you'd like? Try just creating a new User profile that's a computer administrator. See if that works ok, but your best bet will to to re-format and load everything.. :)