Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hal.dll missing, 2 OS's and clueless

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
We do this formatting jobs on a daily basis and there is no doubt in my mind that you made a mistake along the way. Please do it again. Luckilly you have no data on this disk so the process shouldn't take more then an hour or so. I repeat:

• Delete all the old partitions
  • Craete new ones
  • When the computer reboot at any stage during the installation do not press any key when asked to "press any key to run startup" (or something like that). Wait for about 5 seconds and you will see that the installation continues.
  • After the installation is completed (after you set user name etc.) take the CD out to avoid any chance for double installation.

Regarding the drivers: Windows does not include the drivers that showed up with a yellow question mark in your device manager. You have to install the drivers from the CD that was supplied with your computer or you have to download and install them from the manufacturer's internet site or, if the computer is generic, from the motherboard's manufacturer site.

Advertisements

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
could that have been it? I deleted everything then installed but the cd was still in until after the computer restarted and the new desktop was created

i'll do it again

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I got the second OS off, I realized my mistake and now took it off and got the missing drivers. But I still dont have the stand by optiton and i'm just curious why it would show but not allow you to use it

i have a question, could i go from windows vista back to windows xp? for example a new computer with vista could i take it off and install XP instead? should i start a new thread for this question?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What service pack do you have installed? Open System in control panel and there you can the details at the top. You should update your computer to SP-3 and beyond.

Check in your BIOS if there is an option to enable/disable standby mode.

To change from Vista to XP you have to backup the data and install XP on top of Vista, just as did in the present case.

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have sp2 on, so i'll upgrad

and so i understand, i can delete vista like i did with my corrupt xp and reinstall?
one last question, my xp disk i can no longer activate because it says the product key has been used too many times, the comp crashed before but this disk has only been on one computer, does not activating cause any problems or can i let it go?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you do not activate windows within 30 days the program will lose most functionality and become useless.

HelpMe88

HelpMe88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yeah i read that today, i have the disk, there's only one computer its ever been on, is there anyway i can use the same product key, reset it or maybe call them, anything