Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mysterious Reboot & Windows XP Registry Problem

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi everyone,

I purchased a 320GB Western Digital hdd and a generic usb hdd enclosure. After assembling everything own my own I connected it to my pc for the first time. By the way I'd like to mention that I use a 5 port usb pci card located at the back of my computer tower.

Anyways after connecting the enclosure to my usb port, windows installed the hdd as a device [as seen in my systray] and it worked like a charm. I used it for hours and than decided to turn the enclosure off and reboot my pc so I could play a video game online with a fresh boot.

My pc restarted and to my surprise there was some sort of windows message all over the screen in white font with a black background right before my bios screen came up and loaded windows normally. I didn't even get a chance to read the message that appeared on the screen momentarily and than went away on it's own... All I remember is it stating something along these lines:

"Windows shut down because it..."

Anyways as I mentioned my pc continued to restart and boot normally, and than right when the password login screen appeared a message popped up in a small gray window that read:

"Windows had to recover the registry from a log or back up file, the recovery was successful"

I don't know what the heck happened to my pc and why it did all of that. That's never happened to me before. One things for sure I'd like to know why, and what I should do. To be honest I don't even really know what registry is or what it does on a pc. I only have a vague idea as what it is. Simply put I'm no pro about it!

Even though my pc loaded up normally and ran fine, I decided to run "System Mechanic 4" which is an old registry mechanic application created by Iolo Technologies that I still have installed on my pc. I used a wizard it runs to find and clean invalid information and references in the Windows registry.

Like I said I'd like to know why this happened and what I should do. Should I use "System Restore" to rollback my system to a previous date and time? Or do I now have nothing to worry about?

Well anyways here's the next problem... I connected the enclosure again today and just because I'm nosey decided to head into my computers device manager to check out the hdd enclosures properties. I noticed something that stood out in my mind... The hdd enclosure is set to "Optimize for quick removal". Is that anything I should change? It seems as if the second option in the picture states that a systray device removal is necessary and the first isn't. I find that to be weird because the first option which it is set to still shows a systray removal icon on my pc. & when I'm done using the drive and remove it using the systray icon I can hear the normal windows xp plug/unplug beep type sound from my pc speakers... But the funny thing is I hit the power off switch on the enclosure right afterwards and when I do I hear the sound again through my speakers! I don't understand why it does that as well.

Posted Image

Should I be setting the hdd enclosure to the second option since I see no real difference since I'm always clicking the systray removal to unplug it anyways?

The last thing I have to mention is the last time I connected the enclosure half an hour ago my pc was fine and 5 minutes later it rebooted itself. I don't get what's happening. So now I just have it unplugged... I won't lie I have indeed been having problems with one of the five usb ports on the pci card but it's always been an isolated problem on just one port. & I'm not plugging the drive into that one. Is there a way to fix that as well?

Any help would be great! Thank You

P.s.
The only info I can find on the web that's somewhat similar to my problem is this which is a small two paragraph interesting read:

http://www.techsuppo...every-boot.html

Advertisements