Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

gorilla7875

gorilla7875

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have tried many different times to get my computer to boot up. I am a writer and all my college and book files are on the computer and I don't have a back up disc for any of it. I don't have boot up discs for the computer because Windows XP was on the computer when I bought it. The computer was fine and after I came home from vacation it wouldn't boot up. It brought me to a screen that stated there was a problem with Windows XP. I tried safe mode (with and without command prompt). It simply goes to a black screen. Now it's asking me for an administrators password in the recovery console. I tried pressing enter because there is none but it won't allow me into it regardless. I wanted to know if there was any way I could retrieve my files. I will preform a system recovery once I get my files but not before then because I have no back ups discs for that information. I just need to be able to get those files. I was told to bring my computer in to get them retrieved but the last time I did that there were several files they couldn't find and I was told I would have to re-pay them to go back into my computer to get the missed files. This is expensive and I honestly don't wish to have anyone digging around inside of my computer with incredibly important files aboard. Please...can anyone help me?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is this a laptop or a desktop.
Even all you want is to get the data first, which is what I suggest, then there are a couple things that can be done to get the data first. All of it depends on what you have available and your expertise.

The hard drive can be removed and put in a USB enclosure (laptop or desktop)
If a desktop, you can slave it to another desktop.

You can also use "puppy linux". This is a program you put on a CD and then boot with it. It runs completely in ram. It does not install itself.
With this, then you can access your data and copy it to a flash disc or burn to a CD.
Unfortunately I am not that versed it than program. 1 of the other volunteers uses it quite frequently.

I will see if I can find his writeup from another post on this forum.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Here is a link to the explanation on puppy linux.
http://www.geekstogo...;hl=puppy linux.

Remember this is only to get the data off the drive. After that we can work on getting the computer to work.

Let us know what you want to do and we can help.

gorilla7875

gorilla7875

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok i got the puppy linux and got the cd into the bad computer. i'm at the screen where i find my files and drag and drop them onto the flash drive to be copied. the link you gave me said to do this. i'm there right now and i found the files i need. i tried to drag and drop them but when i do it tells me there was an error copying them. i tried to move them but that doesnt work either. i feel so good cuz i can see my files but i cant get to them. what should i do since it tells me there was an error. they simply wont copy to my flash drive.

gorilla7875

gorilla7875

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OH MY GOSH!!! I GOT THE LINX PUPPY THING TO WORK. I GOT ALL MY FILES OFF MY OLD COMPUTER AND PERFORMED A SYSTEM RECOVERY. NOW THE COMPUTER WORLS FINE!!! THANKS FROM THE VERY BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!! I WAS LOST WITHOUT THOSE FILES. I REALLY THOUGHT THINGS WERE GOING TO GO BADLY. BUT YOU HELPED ME THRU IT ALL AND I GOT THE FILES BACK. I REALLY CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY RIGHT NOW. I HAVE CIRED FOR OVER A WEEK NOW TRYING TO GET THOSE FILES BACK AND YOU GOT THEM FOR ME. THERE'S NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE IT. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.....