Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Torrez74

Torrez74

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have two external hard drives used for general storage. for ease of explanation I will refer to them as H(storage) and I(Work). they are identical Maxtor 160 gig SATA HD's in a Eagle bit enclosure (See Link) Running as two independent drives no RAID or JBOD.

I use the Firewire because the computers I have used them on have USB 1.0 ports, and have installed a D-link 1394 3 port PCI card.

So where to begin.......
I have always had a problem with the drives being recognized right away. Some times it takes numerous times of plugging and unplugging and powering up and down. After a bit they are recognized and all is fine. once in a while the I drive disappears and I start the proses again until it reappears.

Of late the I drive appears in the My Computer window with no details (the H drive appears and is fine) but when I click on it I get the warning " access is denied I: is damaged or unacceptable (phrasing may different but the jist is the same). Thinking it might be a cable problem i unplugged the drives and only plugged in the I drive with the H drive cables and got the same results.

I'm at a loss because nothing has happened to damage this drive, and the other is working fine. now if my computer has USB 1.0 ports you can assume the motherboard doesn't have SATA plugs so I cant even just put it in as a slave drive.

I wouldn't make a fuss about this but it's all my wife's work, go figure my music is fine and her work is lost (strenuous times at our house).

What can i do to revive this drive???

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have two external hard drives used for general storage. for ease of explanation I will refer to them as H(storage) and I(Work). they are identical Maxtor 160 gig SATA HD's in a Eagle bit enclosure (See Link) Running as two independent drives no RAID or JBOD.

I use the Firewire because the computers I have used them on have USB 1.0 ports, and have installed a D-link 1394 3 port PCI card.

So where to begin.......
I have always had a problem with the drives being recognized right away. Some times it takes numerous times of plugging and unplugging and powering up and down. After a bit they are recognized and all is fine. once in a while the I drive disappears and I start the proses again until it reappears.

Of late the I drive appears in the My Computer window with no details (the H drive appears and is fine) but when I click on it I get the warning " access is denied I: is damaged or unacceptable (phrasing may different but the jist is the same). Thinking it might be a cable problem i unplugged the drives and only plugged in the I drive with the H drive cables and got the same results.

I'm at a loss because nothing has happened to damage this drive, and the other is working fine. now if my computer has USB 1.0 ports you can assume the motherboard doesn't have SATA plugs so I cant even just put it in as a slave drive.

I wouldn't make a fuss about this but it's all my wife's work, go figure my music is fine and her work is lost (strenuous times at our house).

What can i do to revive this drive???

Do you have the option of atleast trying to connect via the USB1.0 ports? I know it won't be fast for transfers, but it would atleast let you know if the drive is OK or not. Are there any sounds coming from the drive if you hold it up to your ear (it repeatedly spinning up and spinning down, squeals, cartoon laser noises, etc.)? Does it spin up at all?

These are all different things you need to check.