Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64-bit challenges with software

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
in trying to make switch to new Dell Inspiron with Vista Home OS, I have encountered a day long nightmare with attempting to download Verizon Security Suite at the samw time as Verizon DSL/premium MSN. Finally, a tech spotted the fact that it is a 64 bit version and their security suite is not compatible with it. the suggestionis that i should get Dell to change it to 32 bit. since they have already been asking for my credit card on a less thqn 24 hr old system, i hae a feeling they will probably do it for the 200.00 plus fee they were suggesting eqrlier. obviously, after spending the money on a new system i am hoping for some expert solutions from you all that will avoid thqt one.
NEXT - am i going to encounter this as an issue when i trqnsfer my Quickbooks over from the old computer???

Aside from this issue i am more unhappy with Vista than i thought i would be.

Advertisements

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I use Quicken with with Vista x64 no problems. I have had no issues with any software installing on Vista x64. I would recommend looking at the Verizon Security Suite and seeing if it would be better to just replace that. I've used Norton, McAfee, and Trend Micro with no problem on Vista 64 bit, can't say I've used Verizon Security, but Software should be able to install as a 32 bit application even in a 64 bit operating system. The problem is that 32 bit drivers do not work on 64 bit systems. If Verizon Software isn't 64 bit compatible they should be updating that. Most store bought computers are coming with a 64 bit system now.