Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recover admin account files from laptop hdd

• Please log in to reply

vEsprit

vEsprit

• Pip
  • 6 posts
so my laptop is officially dead i guess but i wanna recover my files from the admin account which is under my name but it says access is denied when i try to open my
document and settings folder. i am currently connecting the hdd onto a usb Hdd case and accessing it thru my fren's computer.. all other files like from the program files directory have been recovered .. can anyone help me out here. ?

Advertisements

mohater

mohater

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

so my laptop is officially dead i guess but i wanna recover my files from the admin account which is under my name but it says access is denied when i try to open my
document and settings folder. i am currently connecting the hdd onto a usb Hdd case and accessing it thru my fren's computer.. all other files like from the program files directory have been recovered .. can anyone help me out here. ?

You've run into NTFS encryption. Your friend's computer recognizes the encryption and will not allow you to access the restricted folders .

The best way to "break" it is to use a live bootable CD, like Ubuntu or Knoppix, and transfer the files to another external hdd/flash drive, or burn on CD/DVD media.

The quick step by step:

• Download a live cd (google ubuntu live or knoppix and download one of them). Note: MAKE SURE you download the English image, as these programs are available in many languages (EN = English)
  • Burn the CD
  • Use the CD to boot from any computer
  • Plug in the external with your laptop hdd
  • Plug in a differ external/flash drive OR burn a CD/DVD (Ubuntu and Knoppix SHOULD support the burner)
  • Copy the needed files over. You may need to change the permissions on the drive you wish to copy the files to. Simply right click on the drive and select "change read/write mode"

Note: Knoppix and Ubuntu can ONLY write to a Fat32 external hdd or flash drive. They can both READ NTFS, but are both unstable writing to NTFS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by mohater, 10 December 2008 - 07:41 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello vEsprit...

Actually, you probably only need to Take Ownership of the files/folders you are being denied access to. If you are using XP Home Edition, this will have to be done from Safe Mode in order to see the Security tab.

wannabe1

vEsprit

vEsprit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
to mohater.. OH no then i have only NTFS hdd. .. and no DVD burner.. its gonna take ages writing to a cd.. any other solution ?

to wanabe1.. i am connecting the laptop hdd as a external hdd .. NOT as the primary drive.. i even tried inserting the hdd into another fren's laptop, after the Loading screen, a blue screen appears and restarts again... i guess it's because of my hdd configured to my laptop hardware settings.. and i have a XP pro sp 2 on that hdd.. well i was gonna try Mini PE XT live cd but i have a old version of it and it cannot support USB hardwares.. and by taking ownership of a folder, it can be done on an external drive ? because i tried right clicking on that particular document and settings folder and it show 0 bytes..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They'll show 0 bytes until you have taken ownership.

Yes, you can take ownership of files on an external drive. If the machine you have the external drive connected to is running XP Home, you'll have to take ownership of the files from Safe Mode. If it's running XP Pro, it can be done from Normal Mode. If it's running Vista, you just escalate the permissions when prompted.

Once you take ownership, you'll be able to access the files and move them at will. No more "Access Denied" messages.

The Microsoft instructions are pretty easy to follow and it's really not tough to do.

vEsprit

vEsprit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
allrite i will try just that later.. will inform u of any good /bad news..and tks !!!

vEsprit

vEsprit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok that worked.. tks !!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's great!