Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not enough memory?

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Posted Image

This isn't my picture, but everytime I get this error. My laptop just starts to act weirdly. Like images not appearing correctly on the screen and things not responding at all.

I have 3GB of RAM, am I really eating up that much that it ran out?

Attached is my dxdiag, if it helps finding what's the problem, what do I need to upgrade or add more? Or any measures to take to prevent this?

Attached Files

Advertisements

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Update on what's going on.

I realized a change in situation, it just got worst. I used to have this problem only when I use it. Like have Google Chrome and some other stuff running simultaneously. But now, even just leaving my laptop on alone and in idle, it just runs out of memory and when I return, everything does not appear correctly. It was really hard for me to shut down or restart every time it happens. I just manually shut down a couple of times.

What's going on with my laptop? I just bought it early this year only! ):

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What is the hard drive size, and how much of a free space?

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I just cleared out some programs and transferred some stuff to my 250GB external hard drive.

Here's what's left.

Posted Image

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In Task Manager>Processes tab, what percentage of RAM is reported to be used:

Attached Thumbnails

• SNAG_0001.gif

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Well currently its at 37%. But it differs according to how much programs I am using and sometimes it goes all the way up. I've never seen it reach above 90, when I run lots of stuff its usually at 70 - 80%. Maybe I just didn't see it when it reaches 90 or even 100!

:s

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
When RAM usage reaches 70-80%, look again in Task Manager, and see what program(s) is responsible for the biggest usage. Do same thing when you receive the above error.

There is another option to try - reinstall motherboard drivers.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Could there be a malware triggering the CPU usage?

I just woke up from 12 hours ago (lol yeah I just slept for 12 hours) and I saw that the memory usage was at 95% ! Could there be something on the background working the RAM usage as I'm idling the computer?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Surely, it's possible, that's why you have to look at Task Manager, and post back what are those RAM biggest users.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I'll leave my laptop on for the night and get a screenshot of the list of processes that are taking up all the memory that made it reach 90% used when I wake up. (:

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It sounds like a plan...