Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

VGA/DVI Splitter? Help, more I think, more confused I get ^^

  • Please log in to reply




  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Okay, so I have 2 PC's I use at the moment.

One is a backup for media, hooked up to a 32" LCD HD.

The other is my internet/gaming PC currently hooked up to it's own 17" LCD.

What I wanted to do, was hook my gaming PC up to the 32" LCD, however I realised it only has one port to accept the input from my GFX card. So I thought, well, I'll use a splitter. I found one As an example however if you look, the input for it is "male" and the output from my graphics card is also male, what!? I must be missing something obvious here :-/ I suppose I could simply swap the cable over every time depending on which PC I'm using, but in this day and age that seems to be a poor option :) Everything I looked at has a male adaptor on it, both ends of my VGA cable are male, so yeah.....I'm stumped -_- Any help, advice welcome.
  • 0


The Admiral

The Admiral

    Trusted Tech

  • Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I think I found your problem. The device that you linked in your post is a splitter - that takes an image from one computer and splits it to two monitors. What we need is the other way around - taking two computers and making them send to the same monitor. Luckily for you, these devices are plentiful, and are called KVM switches. KVM stands for Keyboard, Video, and Mouse, and allows you to control two different PCs with the same monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Here is an example of one from TigerDirect.com.

I use a KVM switch in my music studio to use my mouse, keyboard, and monitor on five different computers, and I think it is just what you are looking for.

Good luck!
  • 0



    Tech Staff

  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A KVM switch, I'm currently on my second one. The first one I returned because it was such poor quality, and even this (more expensive) one still makes text difficult to read.

Currently I'm using an ATEN. I don't know what type The Admiral uses, or if he has any similar problems to me. My point is make sure it's a good quality one, otherwise you won't be happy with it.
  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP