Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

user32.dll not found and WinXp wont load

• Please log in to reply

tubanks7

tubanks7

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This has been aggravating so any help would be awesome! Basically I turned my computer off over the weekend and yesterday when I turned it on a blue screen came up saying user32.dll cant be found...reinstalling may fix the problem. well i tried all the options on the F8 screen and it still wont load. Keep in mind this computer is not hooked to the internet, its strictly used for music production so its virtually impossible its a virus or anything. Its just confusing how this could have happened cause i have had very few problems with the cpu since ive gotten it.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hi there!

I've had this problem before...I find that it can usually be resolved by running a Repair Install of Windows. In my case, (and it may not be the same in your case) the problem was caused by malware, so after you get Windows up and running it would be a good idea to head over to the Malware Removal Forum and have them check your computer, but be sure to read THIS first.

If the repair install doesn't help, post back and we'll see if we can get you up and running :)

tubanks7

tubanks7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok finally got a copy of xp...when it was copying the files of course it stops on user32.dll and says the file cant be copied! so im still stuck with the problem, are there any other things i can do and still not lose my info? thanks for the help

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok, try this:

Boot to the CD again, and when it gives you the options, instead of pressing Enter to set up Windows, press R to launch the Recovery Console. Once the RC is loaded, you will need to select which Windows installation you want to log on to, the one that says C:\Windows is the one you want, usually number 1. After you log onto that, you will need to enter the administrator password, which, unless you put a password on, should be blank. You will then be logged onto the RC, and you will have a command prompt. At the prompt, type
chkdsk /r
MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE SPACE BETWEEN CKDSK and /R!!! This will then check the disk for errors and attempt to repair any errors. If that doesn't fix the issue, then try to run another repair install of Windows as stated in my previous post.