Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Unexpectedly shuts off

• Please log in to reply

trevzilla

trevzilla

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I have been having issues left and right with my computer. Finally, it was time to reinstall my OS. (The problem I am having was happening before the reinstall as well)

So, with a brand spanking new installation of XP Pro, SP3, I'm having this problem:

My computer monitor will unexpectedly shut off when ever I'm trying to run a "graphic intensive application." By graphic intensive, I mean something as simple as google maps, or this particular tutoring program I use. It's even been happening with just firefox, and Microsoft Excel too. With Excel, it seemed to be linked to my numpad. Whenever I used the numpad, my Monitors would flick off and then back on. It never happens with video games or anything of that sort. Anyways, most of the time the monitors will come back on after my computer freezes for about 30 seconds, but sometimes they wont. It's a total crap shoot as to weather I'll have to reboot my computer to get them back or not.

I am running dual monitors, and both of them shut off at the same time. So I doubt it is a monitor problem.

I am running a ATI Radeon 9600 video card with all the latest drivers.

My Motherboard is an nvidia-nforce2.

Using dxdiag from the "run" window, I've tested my directx 7,8,and 9, and it said everything was working fine on Display 1. I also tested directdraw with no errors on Display 1. However on Display 2, I could run all the directdraw tests, but it said directx was "unavailable." (I've noticed the problem happens more, when I am running things on Display 2, but it still happens on Display 1)

Any ideas as to why my monitors are shutting off? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused by an issue with the graphics card. Since the issue remains both sides of a Windows installation and it only occurs under graphic intensive operations, it's most likely graphics card or power supply.