Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD ROM/DVD Drives Don't Work

• Please log in to reply

Leashy

Leashy

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
When I put a cd or dvd in one of the drives, nothing happens. The cursor has a little spinning disk for a minute, but then nothing.

I've been trying to copy pics to CDs and it either says there's no disk in the drive, or it says it's burning, but when it's done the disk is empty... confirmed that on my laptop; I also used different brands of CDs.

I've tried putting in a regular music CD and nothing.

The settings for media player are set to open a folder to view the files but that never happens.

Is it possible a virus disabled something in windows that I don't know about? Because I was able to use a recovery disk when I had viruses and couldn't boot up, but that was before windows even started. Seems like once windows starts, they don't work.

Can anyone help?

ETA: I guess it's good to mention that this is a Sony Vaio running Windows XP with service pack 3. The drives names are ASUS CD-S400/A and PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 the type is DVD/CD-ROM for both.

Also, when I check the properties, it says both devices are enabled and working properly and the drivers are UTD.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Edited by Leashy, 10 December 2008 - 06:00 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Leashy...

Try running the Autoplay Repair Wizard on your drives. If that doesn't fix the problem, it may shed some more light on what the problem may be.

wannabe1

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well now I get prompted on what to do when a CD is put in either drive... so that is fixed. It actually found several errors with both and repaired them. But when I did the test while trying to reproduce the problem, it didn't tell me anything.. at that time, it was able to read CDs because it repaired something with the autorun... my only problem now is I still can't burn.

It'll allow me to go through the whole process, but the CD is always empty when it's done.

Any suggestions for that part?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Leashy, 11 December 2008 - 06:52 AM.

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Can anyone help with the burning problem? As far as I know, the drives work fine other than burning music or pics to disks.