Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drive Doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

flutie_flutie

flutie_flutie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!

I'm having a problem with my PIONEER DVD-RW DVRKD08L ATA Device. I have Windows Vista on a Toshiba laptop. I hardly ever use my CD drive on here, but I was going to listen to a CD and nothing happened. So I went into My Computer and didn't see my CD drive on there. I went to the Device manager, and it seems that there is a problem with the driver software. I tried updating the driver software, but it's up to date, and I looked under properties and I saw this error message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available

I clicked 'Check for solutions' but nothing happened. What's going on and how can I fix this?

Thank you!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello flutie_flutie...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

Leashy

Leashy

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry to intrude, but what does it mean if those are listed?

flutie_flutie

flutie_flutie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
wannabe1, both are listed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the left pane, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Name this file oldfilters and save it to your desktop.
In the right pane, right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Does the drive work properly after rebooting?

================

UpperFilters and LowerFilters are hardware hooks that some software applications use to utilize a device...in this case, the optical drive. If the application is removed or becomes corrupt and is no longer used, but the filters are still in place, the computer will see the call for drivers, but not be able to find them...so the device fails to initialize.

flutie_flutie

flutie_flutie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
awesome! thanks for the explanation too!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! :)

You can delete the file you saved to your desktop...it's no longer needed.

mcghanclan

mcghanclan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I had a similar problem and followed the directions above. Now in "My Computer" The CD/DVD drive appears, which it didn't before, but it still wont play my CDs.

I have an e-machine t6414? with Windows XP should my directions have been different?

I can hear it trying to run, but then it goes "ernk" and doesn't.

Edited by mcghanclan, 10 December 2008 - 08:19 PM.

dayton256

dayton256

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello flutie_flutie...

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

wannabe1

ok I See... I Dont Have The Lower What Should I Do? I Have A DEll Demsion 2400 Help Me Please :)

dayton256

dayton256

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello flutie_flutie...

wannabe1

ok I See... I Dont Have The Lower What Should I Do? I Have A DEll Demsion 2400 Help Me Please :)

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Have a read at my post

http://www.geekstogo...XP-t142390.html

Flynt

Flynt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thank you sooo much! I was really upset that my driver had been corrupted but now it plays cd's again but itunes keeps saying the drivers needed for importing music are missing and to reinstall itunes.

Evi Grimes

Evi Grimes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wannabe 1,
I joined this forum just so I could tell you thanks! I had the same exact problem, same system, same computer, etc. The only difference is that I use my drive all the time. I just reformatted my entire laptop to get a bunch of unnecessary junk off of it. Evidently, lovely Vista thought my driver for my CD Rom was junk. I know Java and a few other languages, among other things, but I had no clue what to do when I couldn't find a replacement driver.

So, thanks for the awesome answer and teaching me something new. :D

And now, off to kill some Zerg...

Evi