Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Virus

• Please log in to reply

dif4

dif4

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I think my computer has a strange virus. When I just started my computer, I cannot see my taskbar. I cannot copy and paste files too. When I go to the internet, I realised that I cannot view flash on websites. I also cannot click on any hyperlinks on websites.

I had actually posted on the "Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here" forum. Jimmy2012 helped me but we could not solve the problem fully and he asked me to post on this forum. Here's the link to my post there: http://www.geekstogo...ed-t216895.html

Can someone help me? Thank you very much.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well this topic is named a little wrong... I would say that there were viruses, and Jimmy got rid of them. We need to find out what could be causing this, other than a virus. So I need as much information as I can get from you.

What is the make and model of your computer? Can you see your taskbar at all? Can you see the time in the bottom right? Can you see icons on the desktop? What happens in safe mode? Any change there?

dif4

dif4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Admiral,

this topic is named a little wrong

My apologies, I thought that since my problem still persist, the virus is not cleared yet.

What is the make and model of your computer?

My processor is AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+, RAM is 2 GB, Windows XP SP 2, my computer is self assembled (not by me) so no brand. Do you need other information?

Can you see your taskbar at all? Can you see the time in the bottom right?

Nope, I cannot see the taskbar and time at all.

Can you see icons on the desktop?

Yes, I can see icons on the desktop. They are arranged right till the bottom of the screen, covering the area for the taskbar too.

What happens in safe mode? Any change there?

It's the same in safe mode, I also cannot see the taskbar there.

I forgot to mention in my first post that my sound is disabled too.

Thanks for your help.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Can you use the Windows key or Ctrl + Esc to get to the start menu? Can you use the Windows key + R to bring up the Run dialog box? Can you get to My Computer, and change the file path to "Control Panel" instead of "My Computer"?

If you can... let's get to the User Accounts control panel, and create another user account. That account should be an administrator. Reboot the computer, and log into the new user, see if the taskbar is there.

Then we'll work on your sound. :)

dif4

dif4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi Admiral,

Can you use the Windows key or Ctrl + Esc to get to the start menu?

Nope, I've tried a few times and the Start menu doesn't come up.

Can you use the Windows key + R to bring up the Run dialog box?

Yes, I can bring up the Run dialog box.

Can you get to My Computer, and change the file path to "Control Panel" instead of "My Computer"?

Do you mean clicking My Computer and assessing Control Panel from there? I can access Control Panel from My Computer.

let's get to the User Accounts control panel, and create another user account.

When I click on User Accounts, a blank page appears. There's only a backward arrow and forward arrow and Home on the top of the window. When I click on any of these 3, nothing happens.

Thanks for your help.