Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Boot :( not sure exactly what happened.......

• Please log in to reply

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, heres the scenario.

im running Win XP Pro, azureus, java etc.

im downloading about 7 things on azureus. i leave the comp on overnight. i go to college in the morning, but i check my comp before i leave, everythng is placid, downloading.

i get back from college, and my comp is off, i boot up and while my bootscreen is showing, my comp reboots. [bleep], i says to myself.

(what happened was, my dad just clicked shut down without knowing azureus was running, with no remorse for anything i may have not saved etc. he does this alot, and it annoys me. he hates how i leave my comp on, wasting power)

ok, ive tried everything. the recovery console on the XP install disc, got nowhere with that.

i can get into safemode, but kaspersky wont work in safemode sad.gif i scanned using spybot and adaware just in case but found nothing. i dont think its a virus, i just DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS !!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

can anyone help ?!?!!?

oh, and theres another place i posted this, if you want a little more info:

http://www.bleepingc...tml#entry105790

thanks!
ZER0

Advertisements

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
err..please ?

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey

try the 'repair windows installation' option not the recovery console!
to get the option u will have to wait till ur asked for installing windows..... after the detection and loading process! ;)
tell me if that worked!
:tazz:

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
on how to repair windows XP!

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Before you do that

In safe mode, right click on MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED. Click the SETTINGS button in the STARTUP and RECOVERY section, and then uncheck the AUTOMATICALLY RESTART box.

Click OK, OK, then reboot into normal mode. Report back the error.

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks alot guys, i'll do this asap.

oh and, i just remembered, sheesh this is one [bleep] of a coincidence, i let my friend borrow my Win XP CD, because he cant boot either :tazz: and he still has it ;) so if im going to need to do a repair install, im going to have to wait (he lives a fair ways away from where i live)

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, heres the bluescreen error:

-------------

a problem has been detected blah blah take these steps:

check you have adequate disk space, drivers, video driver etc

check for bios updates, check for memory stuffl ike caching or shadowing, and disable them, then some blah about safe mode.

tech data:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBAEC2B52, 0xF8B4E400, 0xF8B4E0FC)

-------------------------------------------

so...something tells me these are....hexidecimal values for the epicentre of the error ?? or at least something to do with the error I'm getting.... ?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what is the chance that your downloading filled up your harddrive?

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
^^ very high.....in fact, yes it did, but usually this never happens ! well actually, i dont think ive ever filled the HD, on this specific computer. its SATA drive, this may be the reason..i dont know...

the thing is, i took some stuff off in safe mode, and put it on another partition, about 4 or 5 GB's worth of stuff. i would have thought if filling the HD was the case, than wouldnt that fix it ?

Edited by .ZER0., 05 May 2005 - 06:20 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, I would think so to, but that is a very interesting coincidence.

that stop message is very, very rare...so rare I had to look it up and it wasn't in my windows xp resource kit.

It usually occurs when you install windows xp on a harddrive as an upgrade and the drive runs out of space......

So...what to do....let's hope windows is still misreporting the size of the free space.

from within the recovery console, type

chkdsk /r

let it run...it will take a while

Advertisements

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ohhh, i think i did this, and it started doing it, and sped up to 50% straight away, but it seemed like it was just hanging on 50%, so i just turned it off, thinking it was just frozen.

should i do it again, but this time leave it on ?

if i remember rightly, the options you can choose are "chkdsk /r" "chkdsk /f" one of them is to scan and repair, one is just to scan or something like that, i cant remember exactly.....

so should i try it again, but this time leave it on at 50%?

Edited by .ZER0., 05 May 2005 - 06:28 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
geez, what did you give it? Five minutes?

leave it on

let it run...it will take a while

do you think I was kidding? patience...it took 2 hours on a 60gb drive today on a machine

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

geez, what did you give it? Five minutes?

leave it on
do you think I was kidding? patience...it took 2 hours on a 60gb drive today on a machine

View Post

:tazz: ;) ;) im sorry, yes, i gave it about half a minute :) :) :)

thanks alot btw, i owe you big time.

by the way, what exactly am i doing, by putting the "/r" in after CHKDSK ? is that just FIXING whatever was broken ?

Edited by .ZER0., 05 May 2005 - 06:36 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how large of a drive is this?

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
im sad to say its a SATA 120 GB, but the partition is only about 40GB or 60GB, but im guessing that probably doesnt matter.....

i asked what im actually doing by putting "chkdsk /r" ??

Edited by .ZER0., 05 May 2005 - 06:39 PM.