Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cant Boot :( not sure exactly what happened.......

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you're running a five step disk repair.

I asked about the space because it will work faster if you have more open space. 40gb with 3-4gb free will take some time.

So, LET IT FINISH...stopping it in the middle could cause more trouble...LET IT FINISH LET IT FINISH LET IT FINISH...

oh,,,,,and

LET IT FINISH

Advertisements

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok, it finished shortly after i set it off, it could have been about half an hour , maybe a minute, i just left it for a while.

i exited after that finished, and it still wont boot up. i did "chkdsk /r" and after it had said everything it needed to, i was given the commandor cursor ( C:>\: or whatever it is). by the way yo udescribed it, it shouldnt have taken such a short time....

what should i try now ??

Edited by .ZER0., 05 May 2005 - 07:00 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
safe mode,

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
enter

under system and applications look for red x s...any?

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yep !

quite a few in Application, and ***loads in System.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what are they?

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

what are they?

View Post

in "application", there are 2 from truevector (i think thats what Zonealarm runs on ? ), and the latest few are from Diskeeper, but that might be because i tried to uninstall diskeeper or something, but it wouldnt let me....i dont know...probably not.

in "System", theyre all from "service control manager" or "DCOM"

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
For the moment, uninstall zone alarm...and what do you mean you TRIED to uninstall diskkeeper.

That sends up a pretty big warning flag

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
by "tried", i mean i just went to add remove progs, and clicked uninst., but it said something like "cannot access MSInstaller", so i left it at that.

but i did defrag using the command prompt, and diskeeper seems to override the windows defrag, so the command prompt used the diskeeper engine to defrag. this may have caused the errors, although i cant see how or why it would cause so many (there were about 6 or 7 red X's for diskeeper around the same area)

zonealarm has been uninstalled using its own uninstaller. next !

I'm sorry but...what the F**K ??!?! its working. I'm on my desktop.

i got a few messages from the spybot agent telling me that registry keys had been changed. i get the feeling that zonealarm tried to change a registry key, and the fact that my harddrive was full was conflicting, or something....

hmm....now...time to do the after-cleaning up....got any tips ?

oh, i forgot to say, thank you sooo much for your help, what can i do to repay you ?! :tazz:

Edited by .ZER0., 05 May 2005 - 08:43 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, zone alarm strikes again...this seems to be happening with increasing frequency.....

Yes, zone alarm works at such a basic level that it can be problematic (as does diskkeeper).

To repay me, help one other person tomorrow...does not have to be computer help....anything.

Simple acts of kindness. Pass it on.

.ZER0.

.ZER0.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
cool man. thanks. i will. I'll stay here and try and help someone on the forum. well actually...helping on this forum is probably beyond me. I'll try helping in a different forum.

thank you so much gerryf, i owe you the settings and installed applications on my computer :tazz: hehehehehe

gerryf saves the day! dun dun dun duhhhhhhhh! SUPERgerry !

Advertisements