Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer reboots itself randomly

• Please log in to reply

natakudragoon

natakudragoon

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
i'm running itunes listening to music and playing maplestory, an online MMRPG and using aim. nothing much but once in a while the computer just reboots itself. sometimes in an hour, sometimes two hours, but it definitely happens. wat are the probable causes and how can i check for them?

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

i'm running itunes listening to music and playing maplestory, an online MMRPG and using aim. nothing much but once in a while the computer just reboots itself. sometimes in an hour, sometimes two hours, but it definitely happens. wat are the probable causes and how can i check for them?

Is it a desktop or a laptop

First thing to check is ram. To do that, you can use a program called memtest86+, if you search for it you can d/l it, burn the iso to a cd and boot from that cd to the program to check your ram.

The next thing to check is make sure there the dust in the heatsink. If so, blast it out with compressed air.

Those are the things to start checking.

natakudragoon

natakudragoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
its a desktop.
i've searched for the program, theres two version. the + and the one without +. which should i be using?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

its a desktop.
i've searched for the program, theres two version. the + and the one without +. which should i be using?

Either one is fine, about 8-10 years ago, memtest86's development had stalled. So memtest86+ picked up development. About 3-4 yrs ago memtest86 picked up development again and the two have been almost the same ever since.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Also...

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

Yellowstars

Yellowstars

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been having the same problem for a while now too when I play my full screen game (and occasionally while browsing the net, but always with my game up). Would you mind if I posted my current temps as well?

natakudragoon

natakudragoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok memtest+ ran and pass complete, no errrors.

my processor is intel pentium 4 2.80 ghz
2.79 ghz, .99 gb ram

my speedfan reads this:
cpu: 33C
local: 41C
remote 2: 40C
hd0: 31C
hd1: 33C

hm, this is when i'm idle though, i'm not running anything except mozilla(typing this). should i run speedfan using the settings i found problems with? maplestory and itunes?

thanks a lot for replying :)

oh and the heatsink and all fans are clean, almost spotless.

Edited by natakudragoon, 12 December 2008 - 03:27 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Yellowstars,

We'd appreciate it if you posted a new topic in the hardware forum. Helping two people in the same thread not only confuses those people, but the helpers as well. Be sure to post all of your hardware details, like the make and model of your computer, along with the temps from Speed Fan.

Thanks!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

should i run speedfan using the settings i found problems with? maplestory and itunes?

Please do.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

should i run speedfan using the settings i found problems with? maplestory and itunes?

Please do.

You can also try Prime95 (found in my signature) to really stress the CPU and see how your temperatures act.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good advice :)

natakudragoon

natakudragoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok i'm running maplestory, aim, itunes, mozilla firefox and speedfan.
these are the speedfan readings.

cpu: 33C
local: 46C
remote 2: 54C
hd0: 27C
hd1: 27C

cpu, hd0 and hd1 is my cpu and hard drives. what is local and remote 2?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One of them must be your video card, but it's pretty relevant, since the temps look normal.

I'd:
1. Run memtest

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

2. Run hard drive diagnostic: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
do u make any change on ur pc mean installing/uninstalling any hardware/software, upgrading/updating any driver or o/s. what power supply do u have?