Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The RPC server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

Jiki

Jiki

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

Over in the Malware Removal forum, I received invaluable help in removing 2 viruses (thread here--> http://www.geekstogo...tk-t220007.html )

The way I discovered this problem was when I couldn't connect to the 'net. After first trying Dell, then Verizon FiOS, they felt it was a virus, however after cleaning the system I still cannot connect.

If at the command prompt I type “ipconfig” it shows my IP as 0.0.0.0. An 'ipconfig /release' brings back the message that it has already been released.

And If I do an “ipconfig /renew” I get the following message:

“An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable.”

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Check here: http://askbobrankin....navailable.html

Jiki

Jiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Broni,

I checked my registy and did not see the RPCss. So I performed the export/import (and checking it was there). Unfortunately it did not fix the problem.

I am still not able to connect to the 'net and if I try to do a 'ipconfig /renew' I still get the same error:

“An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable.”

What is next?

Thanks for your help so far.

Jiki

Jiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
While poking around (I know it could be dangerous) I noticed that I am also missing th 'Network Connections' service. After adding in the RPCss I and still couldn't connect, I tried to go into Control Panel -> Network Connections but it was blank, got an error (Network Connections service must be started...). That is what led me to this.

Is there a utility that can tell me what services I need or I am missing?

Thanks again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run, type in:
services.msc
Click OK.

In services window, locate:
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - make sure, it's running, and it's set to automatic start
DCOM Server Process Launcher - RPC service depends on it, so, make sure it's running, and it's set to automatic start

Jiki

Jiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

Those two services are started and set to automatic. HOWEVER, when I double click the RPC service and go to the Dependencies tab, I get the following error:
"Win32: The specified service does not exist as an installed service." also there are no dependencies listed.

I DO NOT have the following items appear in the Services window;

Network Connections
Help and Support
HTTP SSL
DNS Client

There are probably more that I am missing (as I compare with another PC) but did not go through each individual one.

Is there a way to reinstall ALL services? or how would I import services?

No progress, but knowledge and confusion progressing! :)

Thanks so far.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run, type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK.
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it'll ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

Jiki

Jiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks again for responding so quickly.

I ran sfc /scannow, rebooted but status quo, still missing numerous Services.

What next?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try repair install: http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Jiki

Jiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Broni,

The repair did it!! I am back on-line! I checked the services and they all are there.

Thnaks for your help.

Mario

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Way to go!! Posted Image