Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I would like to double the RAM I have in my PC, but am unsure as to how I would determine exactly what type of RAM I need. I currently have 512 MB installed via two 256 MB chips. My PC can handle 1.2 GB. Generally, I would unplug my PC and take it down to a local shop and have them look at it then tell me. Is there a way I can determine my needs without having to do that? I sure would like to educate myself a bit more.

Thanks!

Greg

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You need to find out what motherboard you have. After you find that out, you can look at the specifications for the motherboard and find out exaclty what you can put in it.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

You need to find out what motherboard you have. After you find that out, you can look at the specifications for the motherboard and find out exaclty what you can put in it.

Thanks for the reply. How do I look at the specs for the motherboard?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since you have given us no specs on your unit, you can go to the following sites and use the online checkers.
You do not have to buy from them. This will tell you what you have and what the computer will accept.
We do recommend using the same type and not mixing.
If you buy through the internet, I prefer Tiger direct or Newegg.

http://<span style='...strong></span>/

http://<strong class...span></strong>/

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Since you have given us no specs on your unit, you can go to the following sites and use the online checkers.
You do not have to buy from them. This will tell you what you have and what the computer will accept.
We do recommend using the same type and not mixing.
If you buy through the internet, I prefer Tiger direct or Newegg.

http://<span style='...strong></span>/

http://<strong class...span></strong>/

Thanks for the reply. I ran the Crucial application and came up with the following. I'm such a newbie at this that I must admit I'm not sure what is what. Maybe you can tell me.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Available Memory Slots: 0
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80GHz Model 1, Stepping 3
CPU Speed: 1799 MHz

Based on this information, it looks like GenuineIntel is the manufacturer of the CPU, does that also mean GenuineIntel is the manufacturer of the motherboard? I'm really not sure if those two things are one in the same, or does the CPU fit on the motherboard? Can the CPU and the motherboard manufacturer be different or are they always the same?

It looks like I can increase my RAM from the current 512 MB to 2 GB via buying two 1 GB sticks.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

It looks like I can increase my RAM from the current 512 MB to 2 GB via buying two 1 GB sticks.

This is correct.

It should have also told you the type needed and given suggestions. Such as the following

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
If u know which mobo do u have then its been easy to suggest u but U have intel board, if my guess is not wrong then u have 845 desktop board with 1.8GHz processor so u have DDR1 RAM.