Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy Whirring Computer

• Please log in to reply

amiedellinger

amiedellinger

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer has been acting this way for about a year. I know... I know... I should've sought help awhile ago... but unfortunately I am a procrastinator.

Anyhow, my computer will randomly start whirring so loud that I can't even hear the movie or music that I am playing! I have to blast my speakers because it will be quiet, and then it will WHIRRRRRRRR.... WHIRRRRRR.... (silence) WHIRRRRRRR (you get the picture.)

I had taken the side off of it, and cleaned out the dust that was inside... that may have helped for a little bit but I'm not sure. It's extremely annoying. Could it be a program issue? Or would it be a hardware issue???

I've also noticed that in task manager, system idle process is taking up about 97% of my CPU. Is this normal?

If anyone can offer up any advice, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

--Amie

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

My computer has been acting this way for about a year. I know... I know... I should've sought help awhile ago... but unfortunately I am a procrastinator.

Anyhow, my computer will randomly start whirring so loud that I can't even hear the movie or music that I am playing! I have to blast my speakers because it will be quiet, and then it will WHIRRRRRRRR.... WHIRRRRRR.... (silence) WHIRRRRRRR (you get the picture.)

I had taken the side off of it, and cleaned out the dust that was inside... that may have helped for a little bit but I'm not sure. It's extremely annoying. Could it be a program issue? Or would it be a hardware issue???

I've also noticed that in task manager, system idle process is taking up about 97% of my CPU. Is this normal?

If anyone can offer up any advice, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

--Amie

I have had an emachine and an HP that did the same thing. THey BOTH would go from silent to full force and then back to silent. THere was never any in between. Unfortunately, the only fix I found was replacing the PSU with a quieter one.

System Idle process just tells you how much of the time your processor is running idle. This means your processor is only running at 3%. Yes that is normal

amiedellinger

amiedellinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
What is a PSU?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

What is a PSU?

Power Supply Unit (just called a power supply). It is the gray box with all the orange yellow white and black wires coming out of it, that also has the plug to your electrical outlet on the outside.

amiedellinger

amiedellinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Awesomeness - you rock - thanks man! I will most definitely check out prices for one of those thingies and buy one and try to switch it out. :)

Have a great day Pedro!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Doesn't necessarily mean that its the power supply.
I would more think 1 of the fans is an issue. Yes there is a fan in the PSU, but you also have 1 on the CPU and probably some in the case.
Could be a bearing on 1 of them going/ gone.

You should do just a little more troubleshooting, esp looking at the fans.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Doesn't necessarily mean that its the power supply.
I would more think 1 of the fans is an issue. Yes there is a fan in the PSU, but you also have 1 on the CPU and probably some in the case.
Could be a bearing on 1 of them going/ gone.

You should do just a little more troubleshooting, esp looking at the fans.

Good point. I thought I typed that in there but didn't. :) Check any and all fans to see where the sound is coming from.

amiedellinger

amiedellinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I already cleaned out the inside of it... there was a bunch of dust around one of the inside fans. It was that fan that was making the loud whirring noises.

Do you think I should clean it out again, and perhaps make sure there is sufficient airflow around the computer? (Cause it is kinda sandwiched between the wall and the computer desk)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Well, I already cleaned out the inside of it... there was a bunch of dust around one of the inside fans. It was that fan that was making the loud whirring noises.

Do you think I should clean it out again, and perhaps make sure there is sufficient airflow around the computer? (Cause it is kinda sandwiched between the wall and the computer desk)

Where was this fan located? If it wasn't in the PSU then the PSU IS NOT the problem. You can try blowing it out again, if that works again then you just need to keep it clean.

By the way does this computer sit on the floor? If so that is a COMMON source of dust, about 3-4x more dust on the floor than sitting on a table.

amiedellinger

amiedellinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The fan was on the side of the computer not near the back of it. And yes, it sits on the floor sandwiched between the wall and the desk so it doesn't get much air...

I will have to clean it out again, check the fan, and try to put it somewhere away from the floor with more air flow.

I am sure that would probably do it!

Thanks so much for all of your help - (I don't know anything about computers!!!)

:)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

The fan was on the side of the computer not near the back of it. And yes, it sits on the floor sandwiched between the wall and the desk so it doesn't get much air...

I will have to clean it out again, check the fan, and try to put it somewhere away from the floor with more air flow.

I am sure that would probably do it!

Thanks so much for all of your help - (I don't know anything about computers!!!)

:)

If it keeps making noise, you may just need to but a new fan. Which isn't too expensive for a high quality low noise fan (much cheaper than a PSU :) ). That being said, sorry again for not typing that it could have been other fans. I could have sworn I did, obviously I didn't though.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What brand of computer is this? What model?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And yes, it sits on the floor sandwiched between the wall and the desk so it doesn't get much air...

if that fan is blocked then a new fan won't help you at all...you need to move the computer so that it can get proper airflow before you damage something more important than a fan

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

And yes, it sits on the floor sandwiched between the wall and the desk so it doesn't get much air...

if that fan is blocked then a new fan won't help you at all...you need to move the computer so that it can get proper airflow before you damage something more important than a fan

Very true, blocking up the fan like this is not good for the life of the components in your computer. THe fan is there for a reason, to cool what ever it blows on. By blocking it up, you are hindering its ability to cool said parts.