Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help PLZ!Boot virus need to nuke boot sector

• Please log in to reply

TheFrog

TheFrog

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Guys , first of all THANK U VERY MUCH FOR LETTING ME IN TO YOUR COMMUNITY!

Have a huge problem here(Well , might be nothing for U , but I know nothing of this ...)
I got a Compaq 2200 from a friend that needed Win XP in Spanish and I have the original disk , so... I installed and no problems at all , later on my beloved IBM600X died , so , another friend gave me her old laptop which is an ASUS M2400 model M2E... suppose to stop working long ago cuz windows not start and bla bla bla...

I formatted the HDD , 2 partitions , so deleted both and created only one and hit the win CD , and the ASUS created another partition (I believe C:) with no space , so seems to me machine was confused with drives , went to BIOS and set up to boot from CD but keep doing the same thing , try to start with no partition so win install will create one , but the same result ... so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!
More than a week trying to find out how... finally I switched HDD¨s with my friends Compaq presario2200 (Who said no , no , sorry , not Spanish , need English...), and SURPRISE!!!!! now the two computers have the same problem.

I´ve been with this over a week now and still no can find asnwer... but : I did leard that there are virus that reside outside partitions ( or so I think...) So been reading about it but no can find a solution yet...

Can these HDD´s be fixed?
40GB , but ... can they be rescued , I mean is there any way to clean the boot sector ?

The computers...

ASUS m2400

Compaq 2200

Is it possible that the virus infected the BIOS? or only the memory?

If it infected the BIOS , how can I create a boot CD (No can do floppy though) to reload the BIOS?

Guys , Thank you very much for any help, I really don´t know anything about these things and desperately need a machine...and worst of all ...feel horrible I screwed my friend´s COMPAQ and MUST be responsable for it.

Please , if anyone could help I would be forever grateful.

Thank you very much .

TheFrog.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
To completely erase all data on the drive(s) using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

Download

Readme.txt

Bootable CD version (ISO)
OR
Bootable Floppy/USB Version (EXE - self extracting setup)

Use

Bootable CD
  • Burn the DBAN ISO file to a CD.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

Bootable Floppy/USB
  • Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
  • Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
  • Press Install
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the Floppy or USB device as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the Floppy or USB device in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the Floppy or USB device as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO LABEL YOUR DBAN DISK CLEARLY AS ACCIDENTAL USE WILL BE CATASTROPHIC!

TheFrog

TheFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
PPL I keep on this one and as long as I know IF NO HDD CAN BOOT WITH ONLY A BOOT CD ... WINDOWS XP OR MILLENIUM , now even without HDD both computers do the same thing!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

TheFrog

TheFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
Without HDD both machines say "wrong disk , Change the disk and press any key" ... but the disk is a WINDOWS XP original , and none of the machines has a burner , so I do not think that the CD has been damaged...

Dear Mr.Ruler of Omicron Persei 8:

Thank you very much , I am really impressed with such a fast response , I am into burning the DBAN boot disk and praying that this will finally clean this thing , but I have to tell you that I am very afraid it went into the BIOS , cuz both machines present the same symptoms even without any HDD...

If that is the case ... so I would have to download a BIOS update for each and then Boot from DBAN?

But if I update the IOS and start with HDD infected ... then new BIOS will be damaged again ... Am I wrong?...

Ok , I better not bother too much , will try to clean the HDD´s first , and see what happens...

Will tell U in a few hours .... must learn how to burn ISO , and will probably spoil a few hundred disks first

Thank U very very much Sir.

TheFrog

TheFrog

TheFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
I got the DBAN CD ... Did work only once , now still both machines seems to have the same thing Just can´t boot , even disable the HDD for boot , so I got a Win XP SP2 boot disk and get the same in both computer:

disk configuration problem...

check path and disk hardware...

They are very different machines , and my friend´s was ok untill I switch the disks ,

Is it possible that there is a BIOS virus?

How do I make a BIOS update cd?

ASUS seems to give no documentationd for this (only 1 update for windows)

Please help !!!!!!

I am going crazy here!!!!!

Thank U very much

F.

TheFrog

TheFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
ASUS finally did something , but with DBAN says : Kernel panic , and with windows cd "setupdd.sys could not be loaded error code is 7"

Please somebody help me!!!!!!

I haven´t sleep for a few days now and really realy need to fix this!!!!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there may be a communication issue here....i'm going to assume english isn't your native language?

ASUS finally did something

what? what something?

i think at the moment your best option would be to actually take the computers in to a repair shop...

TheFrog

TheFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
asus WITH ORIGINAL WINDOWS CD ...

"file ntfs.sys is corrupted"

please somebody....

TheFrog

TheFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
OMG!!! Thanks for showing up !!!

Well my language is SPANISH , but I live in Taiwan...

Perhaps we think these ppl are genius for electronics , but there is no such thing as repair here ... even ENGENEERS they are now working in sales departments and bla bla bla...

Taiwanese ppl do not repair , they just go and buy a new one , yes , I know it is incredible!!!!

If it is not "in the book" if they have not memorized a pattern... they can not solve a question , I couldn´t believe it myself when I got here.

This is why I got the ASUS , stop working 2 years ago and they just put it under the bed and bought a new one.

When I first boot it said that there was a missing file in windows and as it was CHINESE windows ... no use for me , so I formatted and there is the beginning of my pains ...

Later on it was way too much so I switched HDD´s with my friend´s and now I have two machines with the same thing

Sir. , Any help of hint or any guide will be apretiated for life , specially because of my friends computer , I MUST be responsible for it and can not afford to buy her another one.

Thank you very very much for your help and patience.

F.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
<---MR.

sorry i moved the other topic to the right forum without telling you...my fault