Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to delete files from desktop

• Please log in to reply

radjim

radjim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

Hopefully someone here can help. Over the past few weeks I have accumulated a few files on my desktop which I can not delete. They are all movie files downloaded from rapidshare (well partial files, size is listed as 0 bytes and they seem to occur if my download stops for w/e reason before the file is completed) I use Firefox as my browser. Oddly I am able to delete the .mpg.part file which appears whilst the download is in progress, just not the actual mpg itself.

I have tried numerous things, such as deleting from safe mode, deleting the file without it going to recyle bin (which after about a minute i get the error the file is in use and can not be deleted) and more recently a couple of freeware 'power delete' type programs such as Eraser, all of which basically freeze whilst trying to delete them. These freeware programs though all seemed to work great on a couple of other 'stubborn' files I had elsewhere not releated to firefox/rapid share downloads. I have no idea why the pc thinks the files are still in use as nothing related to them seems to show up from task manager > processes, but i imagine its related to the firefox download window which crashed mid download.

So if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. I guess uninstalling Firefox may be worth a try but I have so many favorties on it I want to keep which is why I havent tried that yet

Thanking you all in advance

RadJim

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
HI, See if this will work for you, Make a folder on your desktop name it what ever you want, then drag the files
to the new folder. Then go to

http://filehippo.com...nload_unlocker/

After you download it then install and run it, this should take care of the folder and the files in it.

Hope it works for you.

Dwight

All ways make sure you back up all your files.

radjim

radjim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for reply.

I shoulda mentioned that i am also unable to move or rename the files, same errors as listed above!

Er though decided to give unlocker a try and it worked perfectly so even bigger thanks :)

Edited by radjim, 11 December 2008 - 07:51 PM.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Glad it worked Thanks for letting know.

:)

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 11 December 2008 - 08:25 PM.