Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Alright, so I built a computer and I am positive I connected everything correctly. I go to turn on the computer and I know nothin is on the hard drives because everything is brand new. So I do a boot from disk because I have my Vista install disk so that I can install Vista, but it always says CD BOOT: Disk Boot failure, please insert system disk and press enter. I dont know what this means and why its happening. Any help will be appreciated.

Specs:
Core i7 920
EVGA X58
OCZ 6GB DR3
2x Seagate 640GB hds
gtx 260 XFX

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Have you set the Boot Priority Order so that the DVD drive is first?

Is the DVD drive recognised and correctly reported in the BIOS?

Troy

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I set the system to boot from CD-ROM as there is no DVD-ROM option, and the motherboard does recognize the drive. My CMOS says that IDE Channel 0 Master is one of the hard drives and IDE Channel 1 Master also says that it is one of the hard drives. The IDE Channel 5 Master says that it is the DVD-RW drive if that helps any. Also, I'm a bit confused because I have my two hard drives setup with SATA cables, I thought IDE cables were the wide cables. Oh and one more thing. The system will boot with the Windows XP disk and will start to set up but then it gets to an error and says setup cannot continue.

Edited by X IBLaCK0uT X, 13 December 2008 - 09:12 AM.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I just came across a forum where there was a guy experiencing the exact same problem as me. He brought his computer to a repair shop and they found out that it was his DVD drive. So my question is, could it be mine. My DVD-drive is from a gateway computer i bought in 2004, NEC DVD RW ND 2500A. Is this the problem maybe??

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do you know the DVD drive is in good working condition? If it isn't, then that may be why it's throwing out the install error. I suggest you grab a new drive, they're cheap anyway.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
well im not 100% sure, but it ran windows xp installation disk, but not the vista one which is what confuses me. Aren't both DVD-ROMs?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No. XP install discs are on a CD, Vista is on a DVD.

Troy

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
:) well looks like im gonna need a new disk drive. i jus tested the drive by seeing if it would spin if i inserted another dvd-rom disk, and i didnt hear anything. i inserted a different cd-rom disk and i heard it spinning. looks like the drive is the problem. thanks for everything troy!!

Cheers :)
ROIDO

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 14 December 2008 - 07:29 PM.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
alright now this is wierd, now you all know from my previous posts that i can boot up with my xp disc but i get an error after i start to install it. then i tried using my vista disc but it wouldnt boot up at all. now i jus got my vista x64-bit disc in the mail, and it boots up with no problems and i installed vista on it. all from the same disc drive, i didnt buy a new one or anything. :) :) wierd??