Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stealing Wireless LAN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mikarazoo

mikarazoo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
So recently I got relocated to a new place which doesn't have internet. And internet is too expensive here so I found an unsecured wireless connectivity which one of neighbours is having. And I want plan to use it lightly.

It's not that I want to totally hog the bandwith because I'm having full internet access during working hours so I'm only using the free wireless LAN for emergency, or internet banking purposes and maybe my emails when I get back from work, and that's it.

But the problem here is that I don't want to get caught for it. I mean, I've read news about people getting caught and fined for piggybacking and currently, I'm just starting out while saving enough money to get married and start a family.

So, my question is, how do I piggyback while totally eliminating the risk of getting caught.

Your help will be appreciated very much :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't. Piggybacking is a term used to refer to access of a wireless internet connection by bringing one's own computer within the range of another's wireless connection, and using that service without the subscriber's explicit permission or knowledge. It is a legally and ethically controversial practice, with laws that vary in jurisdictions around the world. While completely outlawed in some jurisdictions, it is permitted in others.

A customer of a business providing hotspot service, such as a hotel or cafe, is generally not considered to be piggybacking, though non-customers or those outside the premises may be. Many such locations provide wireless Internet access as a courtesy to their patrons, either with or without an extra charge, or simply to draw people to the area.

Piggybacking is effectively theft as you're using somebody else's network without their permission and therefore their internet connection. If they can't be bothered to secure their wireless network that's their problem but if you are caught its computer misuse. What you use it for or not use it for is, with all due respect, irrelevant.

Unless the internet provider to the neighbour in question has allowed piggybacking (in the T&Cs) and you have the permission of the neighbour in question, I would strongly suggest you stop using their network and have an internet account of your own.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This question is against our TOU - we don't help with any illegal or fraudulent activities. Topic closed.