Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Up Error

• Please log in to reply

Jnita

Jnita

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi to everyone,

I request anyones assistance with the following XP - Home SP3 startup error:

windows cannot find \windows\system32\adobe\shockwave

With the last shockwave update when running the update, spybot request permission to make a registry change NSSS (? I think , because it was a couple of days ago), I did check the "info" on it, but it said no info is available.

The thing is that I cannot remember if I allowed it, or if I denied it.... then I saw a new program which was installed "Norton S S S" I think it said Spy "something". I am not a fan of Norton, because I use AVG. I then removed the Norton program.

Now I receive the above error. I went to check restore points, and it does not list any program removal of Norton, all it list is: Shockwave Player on the 2 Dec.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Juanita

edit: I have gone and looked in the system32\adobe file and found a file that says "Norton PC Checkup Stub" ...so I suppose it was this program that was installed with the last update of shockwaveplayer 11

Edited by Rorschach112, 12 December 2008 - 05:42 AM.
removed log

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Click Start > Run > type Msconfig > Click ok

Go to Startup tab and unselect the box beside this entry

[NSSInstallation] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\nssstub.exe /RunOnce

Reboot, that fix it for you ?

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for your assistance.

Followed your instructions, but do not have an entry like that at the startup list.

Any other assistance will be of great help, Thanks.

J

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Try disable anything that has Adobe or Shockwave in the name

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok thanks, will try and report back.

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Rorschach112,

No such startup, nothing adobe or shockwave.

I am downloading the Adobe 9 upgrade, do you think this might sort it?

Thanks for your time and assistance thus far.

J

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Still the same after the upgrade to Adobe 9.... with one addition,

when restarting and before shutting down, I get the following error code:
Access violation at address 0046FBF5 in module 'TeaTimer.exe'. Read of address 00000010

I know TeaTimer is part of SpyBot, so do you think I should uninstall and then reinstall Spybot? I tried a search for a similar problem, and found quite a few people with same problem, but on says it is a worm, and the other just don't know, no-one has posted their results.

Do you know if Shockwave can be uninstalled, I cannot find an exe file on my system?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards
J

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

windows cannot find \windows\system32\adobe\shockwave

The above can't be a full error message, because shockwave is a folder in system32\adobe directory, and Windows doesn't report folder problems. It reports file problems.
Below are all files from shockwave folder:
Posted Image
Check the error again.

I'd also uninstall Spybot, because TeaTimer is known for causing problems.
To me, Spybot is a tool of the past, anyway.

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
The full error report is:

C:\\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\shockwave

What I have done now is this:

I went to Adobe.com (http://www.adobe.com...oad/alternates/) and got the online uninstaller for shockwave, it did run the uninstallation. When I restarted I did not get the teatimer.exe violation error

So I decided to try to uninstall all of my Adobe programs, which were the reader, air, flash and another one that comes new with the upgrade of adobe reader 9 ....

BUT - when starting up again, I get the same message that windows cannot find the system32\adobe\shockwave file

So as you can guess, I am starting to pull my hair out at this stage?

Any ideas - like should I just go to the download page of the player and reinstall all? Will this solve it?

If I go to and restart F8 and choose "last good configuration" will this maybe solve it, I am just a bit scared since I have added a few files to my trading software, that I do not want to lose.

Edited by Jnita, 14 December 2008 - 01:20 AM.

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I found this solution at another site and it worked for me (nothing else helped in removing the norton program exe):

"To anyone who might be reading this and still face the problem of this thread, you could try this solution:

1. Uninstall Norton PC Check
2. Delete all files relating to this program (eg.symcheckupstub.exe in your C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11)
3. Go inside regedit and also manually clean the services/registries that are attached.
4. Still inside regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> RunOnce. Change the symPCCheckup Data to just “C:\”.
5. Reboot into Windows Safe Mode (Press F8 during boot time)
6. Get into the regedit and navigate to the same location in step 4.
7. Delete the symPCCheckup entry.
8. Reboot into Windows normally (automatic if you reboot your PC while in safe mode, else press F8 and start Windows normally)
9. There should now be no annoying popup window or alerts.

The only downside I still can’t figure is to remove the entry of symPCCheck in regedit. The data is still there, just that its not executed anymore. Anyway, I can live with it."

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice job :)
What do you mean by "I still can’t figure is to remove the entry of symPCCheck in regedit".

HereAndThere

HereAndThere

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hmm ok so ive een going throught THE EXACT SAME THING and samee here i cant seem to locate symPCCheck i think its becuase we both deleted the files instead of uninstalling. [if theres a difference] :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
HereAndThere
Please, start your own topic.

HereAndThere

HereAndThere

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hmm....sorry, no.
soo well i got rid of mii problem. i think the reason you cant seem to locate symPCCheck is because as you mentioned before you uninstalled the whole Shockwave package. i dont think those instructions would help you, and you also mentioned something about teatimer earlier...i have spybot too, but i disabled teatimer. it causes alot of unnecessary tention, maybe u should do the same to prevent any future problems.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sorry. I misread your previous reply :)